Automatic Taxi diagram

RVDan

I love flying!
There are old threads from 2015 and before on this topic and I find it annoyingly still relevant. Foreflight brings up a taxi diagram very soon after landing but without an additional subscription tier doesn't show the position of the aircraft. That along with the fact that I have to look down at my knee at a time when looking outside is critical is not good. Pressing and holding the Map knob after slowing to under 20 kts is to late when you are looking ahead for an imminent taxiway turnoff. I have to use Foreflight which isn't in my primary field of view during roll out. I would really like to see the taxi diagram pop up in the Map window (if the map window is selected). Even if completing an IFR approach transitioning to the taxi diagram at something faster than 20kts would be desirable. 40 kts would be ideal. Dynon has a great product, but I would definitely think this feature would improve the Skyview products.

XPRSAV8R

I don’t disagree, but I also wouldn’t focus inside or change configuration until clear of the runway anyway.

Just an idea, but you could transition the map to taxi diagram during your GUMPS check, before/on the downwind, etc. Doing so would give you ground position upon touchdown and when able to transition focus back to your panel.

yadmas

I love flying!
I believe Garmin has a similar feature where by which the maps zooms in automatically and shows taxi ways at low speeds. It is a great feature a would be great if Dynon did something similar.

XPRSAV8R

I use an iPad mini with FlyQ in the cockpit — mainly as a flight recorder. Since it’s already there, it doubles as my geo-referenced, taxi diagram (and I don’t have to pay extra like before with FF for added safety and situational awareness). It switches automatically to the taxi diagram based on speed and regardless of what’s being displayed inside FlyQ (eg. map, chart, weather). It’s truly helpful for 25% of my flying when I’m at new or infrequent airports. I honestly find it easier to access and manipulate than the SkyView ergonomics.

However, I just read elsewhere that you could invoke the taxi diagram by holding down the left round knob if maps is currently selected.

Last edited:

Animosity2k

Do all of the Skyview Classic systems come with the taxi way maps loaded? I have a 2012 CTLSI w/ Dynon 10" Skyviews and I have NEVER seen map diagrams on the dynon screens and constantly use foreflight after landing.

airguy

You get them with a data subscription from Seattle Avionics - either VFR or IFR. You can get taxi diagrams, VFR sectionals, Approach plates, and IFR Hi and LO charts, installed on a USB stick that plugs into the screen and accessible from there.

Animosity2k

What is the relation to Seattle Avionics vs Dynon? I would have thought the maps would come from Dynon? Also if I already have the WIFI dongles in the USB spot how do I load the maps?

Animosity2k

There are 3 USB connectors on the Dynon, so you can have both the WIFO, Video and MAP installed at the same time

So my WIFI dongles are connected to the USB cables underneath where the throttle and brake levers are. I assume the screens each have a USB connection somewhere on the back? What is the Video? If I install the MAPs onto a dongle on one screen will it work on both displays? I typically push my FP from Foreflight to the Dynons, I assume the taxiway maps on the dynon will not transfer over?

Thanks in advance.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
So my WIFI dongles are connected to the USB cables underneath where the throttle and brake levers are. I assume the screens each have a USB connection somewhere on the back? What is the Video? If I install the MAPs onto a dongle on one screen will it work on both displays? I typically push my FP from Foreflight to the Dynons, I assume the taxiway maps on the dynon will not transfer over?

Thanks in advance.
Each Dynon unit has two USB ports on the back, the WIFI and Video could be connected the these USB ports on the back, the MAP (USB stick) needs to be accessed more frequently and is normally connected to the USB connector that is more accessible, which is the same USB into which a USB stick with a software update is plugged into. Video refers to: "the DYNON Video Input Adapter plugs directly into a SkyView USB port" and allows Video input to the unit.

Animosity2k

Did some googling and I found youtube videos of the Seattle Avionics Sectionals, HI , LO, but do not see anything w/ the taxi maps?

XPRSAV8R

And these are also part of the Seattle avionics package?

Yes, they are. Press INFO, enter airport ICAO code if needed. Select the PLT tab and scroll down. Tap the taxi diagram and it goes full screen or split based on your configuration. You’ll see your position geo-referenced. Fantastic for taxiing around new and infrequent airports.

Animosity2k

Yes, they are. Press INFO, enter airport ICAO code if needed. Select the PLT tab and scroll down. Tap the taxi diagram and it goes full screen or split based on your configuration. You’ll see your position geo-referenced. Fantastic for taxiing around new and infrequent airports.

XPRSAV8R, is there not a way to automatically switch from the map to the taxi diagram when you touch down based on speed?

XPRSAV8R

XPRSAV8R, is there not a way to automatically switch from the map to the taxi diagram when you touch down based on speed?
Unfortunately not that I know of. It does on an iPad with ForeFlight or FlyQ. I did hear that you could pull up the taxi diagram by holding down the control know for a few seconds (assuming that MAP is already selected in the lower-left hand corner). But, I can only suggest pulling up the taxi diagram before the/while on downwind as part of your GUMPS check to mitigate distractions on critical phases of flight.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Unfortunately not that I know of. It does on an iPad with ForeFlight or FlyQ. I did hear that you could pull up the taxi diagram by holding down the control know for a few seconds (assuming that MAP is already selected in the lower-left hand corner). But, I can only suggest pulling up the taxi diagram before the/while on downwind as part of your GUMPS check to mitigate distractions on critical phases of flight.

Right - it's not completely automatic. But when you're in the airport environment, pressing and holding the map knob for about 2 seconds will bring up the georeferenced airport diagram for the airport (assuming that there is one on the Seattle Avionics USB memory stick.)