SV ASDB 472 traffic showing own position and calling traffic alerts

RVDan

I love flying!
I recently upgraded from the ADSB 470 to the 472. Skyview classic with 15.4.7 with Dynon transponder. Since the upgrade I have been seeing a traffic depiction nearly on top of my position and getting traffic alerts, only to have the traffic disappear. This is happening multiple times an hour. Since these targets pop up along with the alert, they can be disconcerting. The traffic is always depicted just behind me and overtaking, causing the traffic alert. The target goes away when it catches up to me. Lots of false alerts. I fly in the Washington DC airspace mostly. Any known solutions?
Update from today’s 8/11 flying. In addition to the Skyview display showing my own ship as traffic and calling false traffic alerts, the data sent to Foreflight contains a lot of double targets.Foreflight is calling false traffic alerts based on my own aircraft posotion. Today while in the midst of REAL traffic alerts, I am getting false alerts diverting my attention from the real traffic. I hope three is some resolution to this.

Last edited:

kellym

I love flying!
I recently upgraded from the ADSB 470 to the 472. Skyview classic with 15.4.7 with Dynon transponder. Since the upgrade I have been seeing a traffic depiction nearly on top of my position and getting traffic alerts, only to have the traffic disappear. This is happening multiple times an hour. Since these targets pop up along with the alert, they can be disconcerting. The traffic is always depicted just behind me and overtaking, causing the traffic alert. The target goes away when it catches up to me. Lots of false alerts. I fly in the Washington DC airspace mostly. Any known solutions?
Update from today’s 8/11 flying. In addition to the Skyview display showing my own ship as traffic and calling false traffic alerts, the data sent to Foreflight contains a lot of double targets. Foreflight is calling false traffic alerts based on my own aircraft position. Today while in the midst of REAL traffic alerts, I am getting false alerts diverting my attention from the real traffic. I hope three is some resolution to this.
Make sure you change the Dynon transponder setup to show you receive both 978 and 1090, otherwise the ground stations are going to send you traffic that you are already seeing directly. When you had the 470 you would have set it to tell ground stations that you only received 978.
Seeing your own target is often due to you being in location that either has poor radar coverage or poor ADS-B ground station coverage, neither of which should be the case in DC area. I don't think of anything else.

RVDan

I love flying!
Ok, I checked the setup. Transponder setup/ADSB IN Frequency is apparently automatically set to “both SV-ADSB-472”when I set the serial port to the 472 configuration. It it set to “both” and grayed out and not changeable. I checked the other settings and TIS Traffic is set to ON, which I think is correct. Non-Dynon ADSB OUT ONBOARD Is set to NO.

So, no changes to the setup. Any other suggestions?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Sounds like you have everything configured correctly. You might check whether your transponder has any updated software available for it (it's under the transponder setup menu, not the software update menu).

RVDan

I love flying!
I just wanted to update the thread. The SW was up to date and even with TIS traffic selected off, the problem is unchanged. Dynon support engaged me via email and it looks like the split targets is an FAA uplink issue that is common among other ADS-B in systems.

RVDan

I love flying!
Update- I haven’t had duplicate traffic or traffic alerts that were my own aircraft for more than 10 hrs of flying in the Washington DC area. Perhaps the ATC system in my area has transitioned through this problem. I also did a flight over Pittsburg, Akron andCleveland with no problems and lots of traffic.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear, we hear this quite often and it seems the problems come and go. We sometimes go for months without even one report of this problem and suddenly we will have many.