IAS Display on 6PACK - Red vs White Backgrounds?

Animosity2k

New to Dynon Skyview (Have it on my 2012 Flight Design CTLSi). Just completed a 2200nm trip home with the plane and noticed the entire flight home that the background color of the IAS 6 pack style gauge goes from Red to Black. I've attached a photo of the gauge I am referring to (it's the one with the 102 knots in it). Does anyone know what the reason is for this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image1 (10).jpeg
    image1 (10).jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

Animosity2k

Here is a photo of it with the "Black Background"

Attachments

• skyviewnotred.png
    skyviewnotred.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 242

Raymo

I love aviation!
You'll need to adjust the AIRSPEED LIMITATIONS. The instructions are in the installation guide.

AIRSPEED LIMITATIONS must be set (at least one must be actively adjusted from the
defaults) before the Autopilot can be configured: SETUP > PFD SETUP > AIRSPEED.

Animosity2k

You'll need to adjust the AIRSPEED LIMITATIONS. The instructions are in the installation guide.

AIRSPEED LIMITATIONS must be set (at least one must be actively adjusted from the
defaults) before the Autopilot can be configured: SETUP > PFD SETUP > AIRSPEED.

It must have been adjusted then as I flew the entire trip home primarily on Autopilot. Maybe they just need tweaking!

SZPflyer

Dynon Technical Support has acknowledged that a bug has appeared in the June 3, 2019 release of Skyview 15.4.7, wherein the indicated airspeed readout turns red about 85kt when configured in six-pack configuration. According to Tech Support, the item is on the list to be fixed, but there is no estimate when the bug will be resolved.

For a quick fix I tried reverting to Skyview 15.3.5 (May 23, 2019), then installing the then-current Aviation Database, FAA_av1907_ob1904_15.4.7.duc, but still got the red IAS.

So if you see red when you look at your six-pack airspeed indicator, at least you'll know why.

bug in 15.4.7.jpg

Animosity2k

Dynon Technical Support has acknowledged that a bug has appeared in the June 3, 2019 release of Skyview 15.4.7, wherein the indicated airspeed readout turns red about 85kt when configured in six-pack configuration. According to Tech Support, the item is on the list to be fixed, but there is no estimate when the bug will be resolved.

For a quick fix I tried reverting to Skyview 15.3.5 (May 23, 2019), then installing the then-current Aviation Database, FAA_av1907_ob1904_15.4.7.duc, but still got the red IAS.

So if you see red when you look at your six-pack airspeed indicator, at least you'll know why.

If I switch from 6pack to the Ribbon style will it go away? Also I had a PPI done June 26th before I flew out to purchase the plane. He said he updated the Skyview software which I assume is what is doing this. Is updating it easy enough for me to do on my own once a fix comes out? Is there a site I can monitor for the fix/updates?

Animosity2k

Also I just verified in my logbook my point of purchase inspection included an upgrade to 15.4.7 which is why previous owner never had this issue! I noticed update is put into my logbook and signed off by an A&P can I do these updates on my own?

SZPflyer

If I switch from 6pack to the Ribbon style will it go away?

Probably.

Also I had a PPI done June 26th before I flew out to purchase the plane. He said he updated the Skyview software which I assume is what is doing this. Is updating it easy enough for me to do on my own once a fix comes out?

Yes (see below). You should update the Skyview databases and software as they are published periodically.

Is there a site I can monitor for the fix/updates?

Yes: https://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-software-updates.php. See the Install Instructions tab for details.

I have the scheduled updates logged on my Calendar with reminders to update (via USB flash drive) before the installed databases expire. Note: Not all USB drives are compatible with Skyview; in my experience, unless the USB drive has been originally formatted on a Windoze box, my Dynon system will not read Skyview updates that have been copied from my Mac to that USB drive.

Animosity2k

Probably.

Yes (see below). You should update the Skyview databases and software as they are published periodically.

Yes: https://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-software-updates.php. See the Install Instructions tab for details.

I have the scheduled updates logged on my Calendar with reminders to update (via USB flash drive) before the installed databases expire. Note: Not all USB drives are compatible with Skyview; in my experience, unless the USB drive has been originally formatted on a Windoze box, my Dynon system will not read Skyview updates that have been copied from my Mac to that USB drive.

Do you recall where you originally saw though that Dynon acknowledged that the 15.4.7 updated indeed caused the RED airspeed indicator to appear? I looked all over online could not find it or anyone with the same problem? I also called Dynon and most the techs were gone but no one could recollect it?

Thanks!

NASA515

I love flying!
Probably.

I reported it to Dynon immediately when the update released and they said they were aware and it would be fixed. Pretty disconcerting on my first takeoff.

I upload updates to SV that have been downloaded to my USB drive on my Mac without difficulty.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

Animosity2k

I reported it to Dynon immediately when the update released and they said they were aware and it would be fixed. Pretty disconcerting on my first takeoff.

I upload updates to SV that have been downloaded to my USB drive on my Mac without difficulty.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

So your also having this issue. It's very disconcerting! I'm flying around all the time with my IAS saying I've exceeded limits. No way to know when I really do at a quick visual glance. Have you tried the ribbon style IAS and does it work properly? Did this also affect your stall speed indicator? Im noticing now on almost every takeoff I get the stall indicator going of?

NASA515

I love flying!
We've been living with this red airspeed problem now for several months - if we have to wait until the next revision, it might be a year. For me, this is not acceptable.

Bob Bogash
RV-12 N737G

yadmas

I love flying!
Hi Dynon - could we please get an update on a fix for this / when the next software release is going to be released. As a flight school operator this sort of issue isnt really acceptable when teaching new students. Thanks

RVDan

I love flying!
While not familiar with this implementation for Skyview, but noticed that Vfe and Vne changed between the OP images. What’s up with that? Were they taken at different altitudes?