Classic to HDX upgrade questions

alsrv7

I have a single 10" Classic Skyview which I will be upgrading to an HDX once received. According to the advertising it is a simple drop-in upgrade. I am wondering how to copy the current config/setup parameters into the new screen, or am I starting from scratch and entering it all over again?

Also, I live in Canada and have been using the Jeppesen databases. When I last clicked the link on the Dynon site it took me to the Skyview upgrade page. Now it takes me to the Boeing page with no Skyview updates to be found. Any ideas where to get them now?

Thanks for any help!

Al

airguy

I did this back in June of last year. You'll need to "Export Settings" from the Classic onto a USB, it will create three files (user config, sensor config, and a checklist if you are using that function) that are then imported on the new HDX. You may have to re-calibrate the autopilot servos, I did, but everything else pulled across.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yep, a settings export/import will do the trick, with the caveat that there is no bottom bar EMS on the classic, and loading the classic settings backup will obliterate the default bottom bar. You can either reconstruct it from scratch in the layout editor, or tech support can provide a file that we reload the default bottom bar for you to use as a starting point.

HFMan

Hmmm... so it's not that hard to reconstruct it from scratch? Not knowing what that means, I'm assuming that all of our imported sensors will still be "available", just not along a bottom bar after booting up? I'm trying to weigh the differences between full blown scratch setup, or just reconstructing the default bottom bar.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Either works. Some people obliterate our default setups, some modify them. If you haven't spent time in there lately, it's basically an etch-a-sketch sort of a system. You pick your gauge, style, size, and place it where ever you want on the bottom bar. Rinse/repeat for all of the items you want on there. The pin mappings and sensors will be unaffected, only the layout of the bottom bar.

alsrv7

Thanks for all the help guys! Think I will ask tech support for the default file and just modify what I need.

alsrv7

Did the upgrade to the HDX today. Went fairly smoothly except for a few minor irritations to note:
1. Where it says "feature identical mounting profiles" in the product description is a little misleading as the HDX has 4 vs 6 mounting screws, only 2 of which line up to the Classic. The required opening is smaller than the Classic.
2. The mounting screws for the Classic are the same thread but a different style are not interchangeable.
3. The non-US link on the Dynon website for the Jeppesen databases takes you to the new Boeing site which does not have any databases for Canada. Ended up having to call Jeppesen to get the DB and they were not sure if it would work on the HDX since it is only labeled for the D-700 and D-1000 with no mention of the HDX. Have not flown yet but looks ok in the hangar.
4. Tech support sent a file for the EMS bottom bar which made things quicker to modify than starting form scratch.

So far so good...have to see how things are when I get to fly with it. Screen is great! Love the bottom EMS bar. Not sure about not having the joystick function and having to use the touch function to do certain things...unless I just haven't figured out how to go back or close some of the screens without having to use the touch.

HFMan

I did this upgrade this past Saturday. I had saved my USER config to a thumb drive, along with the current HDX firmware. When the HDX displays booted up, the first thing to do logically was to update the firmware. Unfortunately, when they did this they overwrote the USER config files that I had previously saved from my old displays (user configuration is first saved before firmware update). SIGH.

Fortunately, I had captured photos of ALL of my configuration settings before embarking on this path, with the nagging fear that something like this would happen. I recreated my configuration from scratch by referring to my large series of photos, which took about 60 minutes total. Once complete, everything came up and worked perfectly. All existing network cabling, backup batteries, wifi dongles, and wiring harnesses plugged right in.

Flew on Sunday for a long cross country, and I can say I LOVE THE HDX DISPLAYS. The only things I needed to do in flight were to re-calibrate my AOA and compass. The upgrade was expensive, but well worth it. My old displays are for sale (work perfectly) if anybody is interested (Two D700 Skyview Classic).

HFMan

Sure- price is one display for $1900, two for $3600 (recently lowered).

GlastarJohn

I have a single 10" Classic Skyview which I will be upgrading to an HDX once received. According to the advertising it is a simple drop-in upgrade. I am wondering how to copy the current config/setup parameters into the new screen, or am I starting from scratch and entering it all over again?

Also, I live in Canada and have been using the Jeppesen databases. When I last clicked the link on the Dynon site it took me to the Skyview upgrade page. Now it takes me to the Boeing page with no Skyview updates to be found. Any ideas where to get them now?

Thanks for any help!

Al
I cannot advise you on coying all the settings for a smooth transfer+8

Thanks for any help!

Al
I cannot advise you on copying all the settings for a simple transfer, because although I tried, I am not sure I did the best job of the transfer.
Physically and plug and play is simple with a minor mod to the hole you are putting it in. The new unit only uses 4 mounting screws instead of the classic 6 screws. Only the top two screws were usable and I had to drill out the other mid nut plates and relocate them for the HDX. I probably spend 4 hours discovering what needed to be done. I had to reconfigure everything, network etc. there are so many hidden tweekings that I had forgot about that had to be done. I forged thru it all, but got hung up on getting the autopilot servos to get recognized again. This morning I went thru the servo configuring again, and this time was the charm. The only thing left is re calibrating the magnatometer. My carefully laid out engine guages are now gone and I am starting with the default wigets. In my classic display I had a separate ammeter wiget for my back up alternator that I liked. I have not yet figured out how to do that in HDX. I am sure HDX is controllable, but I will need some help to get it to recognize my Hall Effect current sensor I used for the B&C back up alternator. I am not as smart as I was when I did the original classic skyview in 2010 :) I do like the new display. I like the more robust knobs rather than the joystick knobs on the classic. I flew it today and did the AOA calibration so that is working now. I kept getting a warning of low fuel pressure when it touched 15psi. I have to look into that next. might just be resetting the alarm parameters. Dont know what else to tell you. Im in the USA and there has been no change in my nav update routines. I use Seattle Avionics for approach plates and other IFR mapping. John

GlastarJohn

No, it is not that hard to build it from scratch. I think I spent maybe 45 minutes or an hour doing just that.
Thats what I ended up doing. I had to add an AUX AMP wiget from scratch, and tell the HDX which pin on the #37 commector it was pulling info from. Worked like a charm. Changed a lot of the layout of the bar graphs to my liking once I understand the wizard.
Waiting for good weather now to do the Mag calibration. I did not have to mess with the autopilot settings so far. I will have to do some approaches to evaluate the vertical capture mode.

PYoder

Is this thread suggesting that previous versions of SV could display Jeppesen approach plates but HDX cannot? My HDX displays Seattle’s NOS plates but will not display Jeppesen plates (I did buy a Jeppesen subscription). Anyone know how?