DEK-180 will NOT start up. Repeat problem after service by Dynon (no issue found, new internal battery installed last year).

Tony S

Exact REPEAT, same problem last year.
Unit had been working flawlessly for 12 years in RV-6 w/G430 w/autopilot etc.
Last year: would NOT power up so I sent unit to Dynon for service (sat for a long time).
They checked it out & it worked OK, no issuesfound?
Replaced battery pack (age) & returned to service.
Unit again working OK but did not fly much, ~15 hours last year.
This winter A/C sat in cold hangar for about 4 months (Nov to Mar, Vermont real cold).
Today the DEK-180 powered up OK up when A/C master switch turned on.
I checked eng. temp (CHT = 31F) & shut down via master switch, unit powered down normally (30s).
Pre-heat eng. & went to check eng. temp.
Now DEK-180 will NOT power, just black screen. A/C battery level is fine 11.7v (Odessey).
SUSPECT: either software or hardware design issue relating to “low internal battery voltage”?
HELP: I would appreciate any suggestionS: A/C is 4hour drive (round trip) & removing the unit a PITA....Thanks Tony S.

airguy

You'll need to rule out a bad switch or connection sending power to the unit, or ground to the unit. You could have a loose connection somewhere that caused the problem then, and now.

Tony S

Thanks, but not an aircraft or wiring problem...

UPDATE. Let A/C & unit “rest” for about an hour, came back, flipped on Master & it booted up OK?
At this point, I suspect some SW timing loop related to low internal battery voltage & quick “on/off sequence”.
Flew A/C for 1.5 hours no issue...

jakej

The OP did not mention wiring as the issue but specifically a connection as a probable cause - did you remove the connector back shells to confirm the sockets/ pins are fully seated ? Just trying to help out here.

Tony S

10/16/23 - Repeat of the EXACT same problem, back in 2020. Never did find root cause or any helpful feedback from Dynon. It's not a wiring problem. Aircraft has flow for more then 700 hour with any wiring issues. As an electrical engineer, long time A&P/IA and aircraft builder, I'm meticulous about wiring (no connectors in aircraft, all point to point, soldered & double insulated). The problem has do do with low internal battery level & "time out" shut down. I hadn't flow it is a long while, hangar was cold so I fired up just to check engine temps. I shut off the master & let the unit shut it self down (30s). Couple hours later, flip master on & no D-180, just plain BLACK screen. I called Dynon Support yesterday & left a voicemail, no replay. I would appreciate Dynon stepping up here?

Rhino

...It's not a wiring problem. Aircraft has flow for more then 700 hour with any wiring issues. As an electrical engineer, long time A&P/IA and aircraft builder, I'm meticulous about wiring (no connectors in aircraft, all point to point, soldered & double insulated)...
While all that does instill confidence, it doesn't rule out a wiring issue. I can't count the number of times I had wiring issues after just such precautions. I'm not saying the problem is actually a wiring issue. I sort of doubt it is. I'm just saying I learned the hard way never to say never when it comes to wiring.

Last edited:

jakej

10/16/23 - Repeat of the EXACT same problem, back in 2020. Never did find root cause or any helpful feedback from Dynon. It's not a wiring problem. Aircraft has flow for more then 700 hour with any wiring issues. As an electrical engineer, long time A&P/IA and aircraft builder, I'm meticulous about wiring (no connectors in aircraft, all point to point, soldered & double insulated). The problem has do do with low internal battery level & "time out" shut down. I hadn't flow it is a long while, hangar was cold so I fired up just to check engine temps. I shut off the master & let the unit shut it self down (30s). Couple hours later, flip master on & no D-180, just plain BLACK screen. I called Dynon Support yesterday & left a voicemail, no replay. I would appreciate Dynon stepping up here?
Been there, done that. No one gets everything right regardless of training &/or experience - don’t ask how I know.
ps - I know I’m asking the obvious, just trying to help, however you don’t have the ‘keep alive’ wire still connected do you ?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Our technical support team will be a better resource than me here (did they get back to you?), but the keep-alive line is the most likely culprit. We do not recommend it be connected.