Fuel flow configuration ?

Mzwijacz

I love flying!
I have an EI Ft-60 fuel flow transducer. It was installed before the Dynon was installed and ran fine. I have wired it per the manual rev AE on page 7-57.

Black - pin 30
White - pin 14
Red - pin 15

The wires ring out just fine. I have configure the Dynon Ems mapping to fuel flow and set the k factor to 68000. The problem I'm having is there is no flow indicated. Fuel pressure reads fine. Is there another location to tell the EFIS that this is a FT-60 rather than a Flow Scan 201B. I've not found anything in the manual.

BTW I've run the engine on the ground and everything is running just fine.

Thanks,

Mzwijacz

I love flying!
Had Zero volts on the red wire at the Cube. The wire tones out fine but found only 8.x volts comming into the Ems box from the network. Traced 8 volts back to the 10" screen on the Dsub. Checked the voltage comming into the 10" screen and have 12.45 from the battery. There seems to be a voltage loss at the screen.

Checking with Dynon tech support now.

thx,

MFZ

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The EI vs FloScan difference is only in the k-factor, but other than that, they're wired the same. IE, if you're getting ZERO flow, there's likely a wiring problem somewhere or possibly an issue with the sensor. Note that the main SkyView power bus IS actually 8V, but there is another 12V line that goes along with it. In any case, you really want to be looking not at what's on SV Network, but what's on EMS pin DB37 pin 15. That should have 12V on it. As previous poster said, make sure you haven't accidentally used the 5V output line.

Mzwijacz

I love flying!
Sorry for the delay, It's been snowing all week. The temp makes it difficult to work in the hangar. I did directly connect the Red and Black wire from the fuel flow to the battery. I still got Zero on the fuel flow display. That would lead one to assume it is the fuel flow sensor. But this doesn't make sense, it was working fine before the install of the new panel.

My plan is,

• Connect the old EI gauge to test the fuel flow
  • A friend gave me another Ft-60. I was going to test this one if the above test failed. Both can't be bad.
A question from the previous post. <make sure you haven't accidentally used the 5V output line. > What 5v line ?

Thx,
MFZ

Mzwijacz

I love flying!
Well, it finally stopped snowing or raining. I was able to connect the old EI fuel flow gage to the fuel transducer. When I was running the engine, the flow was about 3.5 ga/hr. I reduced power and mixture to see the flow change to 2.x ga/hr. So, the fuel transducer is working. The problem must be in my wiring, or the EMS module, which I doubt.

I'm not using the 5v line but am wired to ,

Black - pin 30
White - pin 14
Red - pin 15

I will ring out the wires once again and try moving the ground to another pin. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do next.

Thx,
MFZ

preid

Just seeing this. Did you get this resolved?
I just sent my FT-60 back with less than 1 year of use. I went from 20 gallons to zero suddenly. I discovered that the wiring was fine by testing the power and ground with ammeter and getting 11.5V than I touched the signal wire to ground, if you tap or leave on any ground in plane it triggers a signal. Seeing the wiring was fine I removed the transducer and cleaned it and noticed the wheel was not spinning hence the failure of the transducer.
So if Pin15 and pin 30 are getting you a 12v or so indicator you need not look further-wiring is working
if 14 is tapped on any ground on plane and you see a signal the wiring is fine.
check the wheel spinning I sprayed some carb cleaner into the tube and looked for the wheel to spin freely, if it stops quickly or seems like its dragging spray some cleaner (non corrosive) into the transducer and shake it with fluid in the cube- drain and do again, than check the wheel spinning inside, if its spinning faster- clean one more time with more shaking and try the flow again.
Are you using the correct K factor for your plane? RV-12 need like 90000, my -10 needs 71500 and Ive heard others needed less than 68000 (default)
Im guessing the low fuel flow (well it may be right for you but low for me) tells you the wiring is working (or you would get 0.0) so either the k factor is way off or the spindle has something slowing it down (dirt or other)
let us know if you resolved the issue.

Mzwijacz

I love flying!
Ok this is what I did ..... not sure what fixed it.
  • Connected the old EI head to the FT-60 and confirmed the transducer was working .
  • Depinned 14,15 and 30 from the EMS module and tested pins 14 pwr , 30 grnd for power. With the battery charger on, I go 13+v.
  • Checked the pins for looseness or a bad crimp.
  • Repinned 14,15 and 30 then check power and ground at the transducer for 12.5+v. This time I had voltage at the transducer.
  • Ran the engine and the fuel flow was indicating.
Don't know what step fixed it. I was certain the pins were correct but that must have been it. ???