HDX ADSB weather DBz scale

Flying_Monkey

I looked in the manual but couldn't find the answer. Does anyone have the DBz scale for weather depiction via ADSB on the HDX?

Thanks!

Eric

Flying_Monkey

Red is bad. Yellow is not great. Green is a bug wash.
It seems like the scale on the HDX is very different than other ADSB sources like my Avidyne IFD540 and Foreflight (which does publish a scale). The HDX seems to indicate yellow and red while the others show just green and yellow. I just want to know the scale so I can make decisions based on actual real data. Hey Dynon, what's the scale?

lancair360

In a Cherokee with your family how close you wanna cut it? How bad you gotta get there?

RV8JD

Not in dBZ, but some info from page 5-77 of the SkyView HDX Pilot’s User Guide – Revision F. (I got a chuckle from the use of "Heavier" and "More Extreme" ... looks like they ran out of superlatives!)

i-mcxMbzv-M.jpg

ForeFlight's WX legends (you need to take along a cheat sheet to interpret the colors/shading):

http://cloudfront.foreflight.com/docs/ff/13.2/v13.2 - foreflight weather legends optimized.pdf

Last edited:

Rhino

Look at the bottom right of the radar image below;

8BA9D227-5D26-4E49-A4AA-C10D5B16228A.jpeg

swatson999

How is that helpful? It's a different scale entirely, with different colors and much finer gradations.

Rhino

It's the scale for NEXRAD, which if I'm not mistaken is what's distributed via ADS-B, which is in turn is what was asked for. Feel free to offer corrections if I'm mistaken. It would be more helpful than simple criticism. I've never claimed to be all-knowing and all-seeing.

swatson999

It's the scale for NEXRAD, which if I'm not mistaken is what's distributed via ADS-B, which is in turn is what was asked for. Feel free to offer corrections if I'm mistaken. It would be more helpful than simple criticism. I've never claimed to be all-knowing and all-seeing.

No, the OP asked for "Does anyone have the DBz scale for weather depiction via ADSB on the HDX?". Clearly, the scale and color chart that Dynon uses for its depiction bears little, if any, relation to the Nexrad data that is provided on other platforms.

Dynon's:
i-mcxMbzv-M.jpg

Nexrad:
8BA9D227-5D26-4E49-A4AA-C10D5B16228A (2).jpeg

No Data is different, black doesn't appear at all on Nexrad, brown and blue don't appear at all on Dynon, the sequence of light and dark green is reversed one to the other, there's no white on Dynon, and whereas Nexrad has 23 levels, Dynon has 8.

Rhino

So the HDX doesn't simply display the radar images, but rather natively renders the images from scratch using raw data. That's good to know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

I had seen the scale in the Dynon manual of course. I just want to know what the actual DBZ numbers are, because the colors look different than my other weather sources. How can we make decisions on distance to keep from weather with general adjectives only? The Foreflight scale is very useful. Dynon, can you please publish a similar scale with actual DBZ numbers? Obviously someone has made a conscious decision of which colors to show based on which values in the ADSB data- please share!

ddelong

RV9A
Staff member
Flying Monkey has it correct. ADS-B only encodes it with 8 levels and they are as described in Flying Monkey's post.