5.1.1 did not cure bearing pointer problem

bmarvel

My system is a GX-65, SL-30, D-100 and HS-34.  All works perfectly except for a problem I reported previously.  Prior to 5.1.1 the bearing pointers were always locked together when one was set to the nav freq and the other was set to the standby freq on the SL-30. They both pointed to the location of the VOR in the primary nav window.   I could not get either bearing pointer to point to the location of the VOR in the standby position on the SL-30.  Both bearing pointers worked fine when GPS was selected.

5.1.1 went into the D-100 and HS-34 without a problem.  Now I find that each bearing  pointer works properly when set to the GPS source or to the primary nav freq source.  However, when set to the standby freq source, neither bearing pointer appears on the HSI.

It appears to me that the Dynon system is not recognizing the standby freq in the SL-30 at all.  Others have reported no problems with an SL-30 but no HS-34.  Is the HS-34 causing this?

Bill Marvel    

aceflyingservice

Bill,

My system is a EFIS D10A, EMS D10, HS34, SL30, and 496. After upgrading to 5.1.1, the bearing pointers are working in every configuraton. Maybe the difference is between the D10A and the D100.

Roger Johnson
Long EZ N34JR

bmarvel

Thank you for that feedback on everything working properly with the HS-34 installed.  Dynon confirmed the original problem I had (locked bearing pointers) and 5.1.1 was supposed to solve it.  I will get the plane in the air again tomorrow and do some more investigation.

Bill Marvel

Brantel

This is just me thinking about what might be your problem...I don't have an SL30 so I can't say for sure:

Per the manual, the SL30 only outputs the standby nav info if you have the standby nav monitoring function active on the SL30.

When you were checking your pointers, did you have this active?

Also, what is your indicator head type set for on the SL-30?

bmarvel

Good suggestion!  I did not have the nav monitor mode selected and will try that on the next flight.  I have only used that mode to display digital cross bearing info on the SL-30 and never thought that it might be needed to get data to the Dynon.  

Don't know off hand what the indicator head type is but I think it was set to resolver.

The nav head I have in addition to the Dynon is an MD-306

Bill

bmarvel

Bingo!  That did it.  Apparently for the HSI bearing pointers to "see" the standby freq in the SL-30, the SL-30 nav monitor function has to be enabled.  Now it appears everything is operating properly.  

Bill Marvel

Brantel

Glad to hear that it works now!

That is one of the best things about a Dynon/SL30 combo is that you get the benefit of two nav radio's in one!

With the HS34, the ability to have an E-HSI and two RMI pointers on the screen at the same time driven by whatever source you like is cooooool and really usefull for navigating and shooting approaches.