Adel clamps acceptalbe?

Pinballwizzard

I have seen a few pictures here in the forum of servos linked to pushrods via Adel clamps on the tube. Is this an acceptable method? It would seem that the tab would be prone to fatigue and that it wouldn't be a good way to go. Yet I have seen several done this way. If this is acceptable it would make my life allot easier. I would love to hear Dynon's input on this one.

I got my D100 the other day, already have the mount, harnesses etc and am ordering the EMS soon. I am still trying to decide on the AP or HSI and AP.......

skysailor

Re: Adel clamps acceptable?

I am sure others will add their voice to this but I would strongly recommend against using Adel clamps on a pushtube. The reason is that if the clamp were to slip to a different position on the tube you may bind the flight controls and effectively lose control of the aircraft. The clamp may seem very tight when first installed and might work fine initially but if it does eventually move the result could be deadly.

PhantomPholly

I use Adel clamps - BUT...

I drilled a hole all the way through both clamp and tube, and inserted a bolt fastened with locking nut.

In my case this was "reasonable" because the pushrods were very substantial (and the #8 hole was relatively tiny).

Caveat Emptor.

Pinballwizzard

So if the best position happened to be a mid tube attachment, what would be the preferred method?

PhantomPholly

Dynon can't advise you on this for their legal safety. It is an experimental world, and all they can (and should) say is to make sure that it is affixed in such a manner that it will not come loose.

I considered just running a bolt through the tube, but decided that it might wear the hole large over time.

The "best" answer may depend on the size and composition of your pushrod.

Another possibility would be to create a fiberglass mounting bracket (assuming your pushrod is fiberglass) just for the mounting point. That way if the bracket came loose it would not damage the pushrod nor impair flight.

Remembering that the AP servo applies only a few ounces of torque, I felt that the Adel clamp will absorb 100-200% of the force. The small bolt I ran through is in theory just "belt and suspenders." It will be checked each year for any signs of wear.

You can and should seek other opinions - I am not an aeronautical nor structural engineer.

MauiLvrs

... If this is acceptable it would make my life allot easier. ...
It won't make life easy if it has a problem in the air :eek:
I am still trying to decide on the AP or HSI and AP.......
Both... Got them both hooked up this weekend and talking to both GPSs last night. Really cool!!!

TRCsmith

On my roll servo I added a clamp on both sides of the servo attachment bracket. I check it when ever the cowling is off and as yet have not had it loosen of on me.
That's what I did, yours may veri........(as in veri-ez)