ADS-B NO RADAR ?

GalinHdz

Can anyone tell me what the message “ADS-B NO RADAR means? I am seeing this on a Dynon Skyview HDX, in the lower right hand corner of the map. FWIW this was asked on another forum but I thought this forum was more appropriate.

skysailor

I answered it on the Vans forum. According to Dynon tech support you will see this if you do not use the Dynon transponder for ADSB out. It does not affect the display of weather (including radar) on your map display. My plane does this as well.

jakej

“ADS-B is a system in which electronic equipment onboard an aircraft automatically broadcasts the precise location of the aircraft via a digital data link. The data can be used by other aircraft and air traffic control to show the aircraft's position and altitude on display screens without the need for radar.”
A ‘search’ found the above - my system using Dynon Transponder always Shows ADSB NO RADAR & through a contact within the ‘system’ here, my setup performs & meets the required output.
HTH

skysailor

Jake,

It may have to do with the Australian location. Tech support will know. They told me I would always see the "ADSB NO RADAR" message because the ADSB 472 could not filter out my ownship return since I do not use the Dynon transponder for ADSB out. The installation manual makes it seem the message has to do with TIS B. Do you have TIS B down under?

DBRV10

Folks.......THIS IS NORMAL >>>>>WHEN you are operating in an area that does not have the FAA's radar rebroadcast data. So the TIS-B is a broadcast from the FAA system so anything they send you can be displayed. This would include any Mode C only aircraft they have in their system. The downside is there is a bit more delay in the actual target position compared to the ADSB from another aircraft directly to you. Beware of those limitations. When outside of the FAA's broadcast coverage you will get that notification so don't rely on seeing all the things you do in coverage.

For those of us living in the aviation third world, we get no TIS-B nor any weather broadcast so there will always be a NO RADAR shown on our screens in the upside down land.

Hope that clears things up.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It's admittedly a US-centric message, but it essentially means that whatever traffic picture you're receiving isn't including ATC radar-derived targets.