ADSB and NOTAMs?

Flying_Monkey

I know that the Skyview with ADSB In module will receive TFR NOTAMs but does it receive airport NOTAMs (those for closed runways, etc etc). Is this information broadcast on the ADSB stream and is there a way to view it in the HDX. Recently had to divert to an airport and was looking for a way to check out the NOTAMs in flight on the fly...

Bill Putney

I know that the Skyview with ADSB In module will receive TFR NOTAMs but does it receive airport NOTAMs (those for closed runways, etc etc). Is this information broadcast on the ADSB stream and is there a way to view it in the HDX. Recently had to divert to an airport and was looking for a way to check out the NOTAMs in flight on the fly...
The UAT in gets you FIS-B which should include airport NOTAMs. I presume Dynon doesn’t filter things out of what’s available.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/pilot/

Bill

Rhino

NOTAM-D information is included in FIS-B broadcasts and your Dynon system technically receives them, but that doesn't mean it uses or displays them. To my knowledge it doesn't, but someone else here can correct me if I'm wrong. I know that NOTAM information isn't included in at least some flight plans uploaded to the HDX, so it likely won't get them that way either. Keep in mind the FAA does not consider FIS-B to be an approved source for checking NOTAMs. Even if you manage to get them that way, it won't legally cover you.

Flying_Monkey

NOTAM-D information is included in FIS-B broadcasts and your Dynon system technically receives them, but that doesn't mean it uses or displays them. To my knowledge it doesn't, but someone else here can correct me if I'm wrong. I know that NOTAM information isn't included in at least some flight plans uploaded to the HDX, so it likely won't get them that way either. Keep in mind the FAA does not consider FIS-B to be an approved source for checking NOTAMs. Even if you manage to get them that way, it won't legally cover you.
I had to divert on a recent flight and couldn't get a hold of flight service. Foreflight had not downloaded the NOTAMs for some reason so I was looking at the HDX wondering if I could get them that way. Would have been nice. I read NOTAMs from the briefing but not NOTAMs for every single airport in the states I am flying over... LOL

skysailor

If you cannot get in touch with Flight Service call the nearest ATC facility. They all have access to the NOTAM information. Naturally, they will want to know why you are diverting.