"Airspeed High"

N941WR

When flying with the SkyView AP engaged and pointing the nose downhill (-500 FPM), my airspeed can approach the "Yellow arch", which is well below the TAS Vne.

When this happens, I get the ""Airspeed High" alert and the AP pitches up very abruptly, much more than manual would indicate.

Is it possible to tone down the force of the pitch up?

led

Hi Bill,

There is no separate setting that will affect how aggressively the AP corrects airspeed errors.   The goal of the speed limiter is to keep the airplane in a safe range.  Overspeeds are corrected at up to but no more than the G-limiter, which kicks in at 1.5G positive.

The AP max speed speed is set relative to VNE; you may be able to increase that a little if your normal descents are bumping the limiter.  Another option is to make your descent in ASPD HOLD and adjust descent rate with throttle.

Hope that helps,

-Lawrence

Lawrence Doan
Autopilot Engineer

N941WR

Lawrence,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I think my issue is that the onset of the pull-up is pretty abrupt, while the overall G loading is probably the 1.5G you mentioned. Is there anyway you can slow down the G onset, which is rather abrupt. Abrupt enough it feels like something is going snap.

In fact, if I had a pilot jerk the stick like the pitch servo, they would never touch the stick again.

Go up in the Sportsman, set the Vne lower than current and start a decent. You will very quickly understand what I'm talking about. Maybe. Different airspeeds, airframes, etc. could give different results.

Thanks again!
Bill