Amp Shunt Installation

mikeschumann

I love flying!
I have a Dynon Skyview system installed in my Phoenix Motorglider. The amp display on the Skyview shows the total amps used by the aircraft avionics, lights, etc. It doesn't show the charge or discharge amps going to/from the battery.

Is this typically the way the amp shunt is installed, or is it typically installed to measure the current flow in/out of the battery? Is it possible to add a second shunt so that the Skyview system will show you both the total amps being used, as well as the currently flow to/from the battery?

DBRV10

No you cannot add a second shunt.

There are a few places you can place the shunt in the circuit. The best and most logical place is Position A as shown in the manual. I say this is the most logical for good reasons, and this is why you are asking. So your logic is good :)

As you can see here position A shows the flow into or out of the battery. If you have the alternator off, you can see the drain on the battery, if it is on you can see what is going to the battery. The other two positions are less valuable, and I am sure someone will disagree. The number of people who have not used A and later have seen the benefit, usually change it.

1589157233241.png

GalinHdz

Actually you can install a second shunt but not something normally done or very accurate.

FWIW I installed a shunt to measure the current going in/out of the battery (Postion A) and used this Hall Effect Sensor to measure current going in to the instrument panel (Postion C). If I want to know the total current from the alternator, just add the two values (Kirchhoff's law).

In this photo you can see the aircraft load (PANEL) is 16A, the battery load (BATT) is 2A so the total current from the alternator is 18A.
9143.jpg

BTW; the DYNON EMS already has the configuration files for both CS-01 (100A) and CS-02 (50A) Hall Effect Sensors. :cool:

Last edited: