AOA output from EFIS-D10

L

Lars(Guest)

I have a D-10 and a AOA. Now I am required to install an audible stall warning on my aircraft.

1. Do any of the pinouts in the D-10 give any signal varying with the AOA?
2. Does the RS232 output all the time, or only when promptet by a PC? If this outputs all the time, does the data train contain AOA-information?

waiter

Reference to question #2,

The data stream is being sent out from the D10(A) serial port all the time, even if there is nothing connected. AOA is part of this data stream.

The operating manual provides a good description of the serial data outputs, and how to parse the data. The serial stream is cooking along at 115,200bps. This speed provides a complete updated frame of data roughly 64 times per second.

If your interested in capturing this data or wish to view it real time, your welcome to download and use a software program I wrote specifically for this application:

Its called Waiters Flight Recorder, and can be found at www.iflyez.com, look under DOWNLOADS. This program can record and display EFIS data from a D10, D10A, or a D100, PLUS data from the EMS10, PLUS any GPS receiver that outputs NEMA 0183, The recording interval is selectable from 1/64 second to 30 seconds

If you have any suggestions or recommendations, please let me know.

Waiter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
To answer the first question: Full AOA information is only available externally via the serial output.

However, the audio output on the EFIS-D10A, as of the latest software update, can generate a beeping tone that starts as the AOA gets high. As the AOA gets closer to critical, the frequency of the beeping tone increases until it is a solid alarm tone just shy of your calibrated critical AOA.

L

Lars(Guest)

Waiter

Thanks a lot for the advice and program. Will download tomorrow on my laptop. A stall warner should be easy to implement based on the data output from the EFIS, but it just struck me an autopilot should also in fact be within reach!

Lars

G

Regarding audio output: what is the specification of the signal on pin 18?
I intend to connect it to the auxilliary audio input of the radio.

André

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's a square wave output that can be trimmed with an external pot as we show in the EMS install guide.

Is there any particular data point that you're interested in?

D

DaveB(Guest)

I'm using a sigtronics SPA-400 intercom & a Microair radio. I don't have an Auxiliary Input, but I do have a spare mic input. (the Microair radio includes a basic Intercom facility) - would it be possibble to connect the audio output into the spare Microair mic input ?

Any other suggestions?

Dave

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not familiar with how the Microair inputs work, but you want to take care that the alarm output from the EMS is not broadcasted when you talk over the air.

V

Vern Little(Guest)

I'm using a sigtronics SPA-400 intercom & a Microair radio. I don't have an Auxiliary Input, but I do have a spare mic input. (the Microair radio includes a basic Intercom facility) - would it be possibble to connect the audio output into the spare Microair mic input ?

Any other suggestions?

Dave

Dave: Check on www.vx-aviation.com for the 'AMX-1A'. It's designed to work with the Sigtronics intercom and allow various alarms to be mixed into the headset audio. One channel has a trimpot (variable resistor) that will act as a volume control for the Dynon AOA output.

Vern Little