AP HSI+ALT issue

Doug94

I have looked all over for this and cant seem to find what Im looking for. i hope someone can help. The basis of the issue is the HSI+ALT tab is grayed out. A while back when the simplified/expert AP update was it worked prior to the update - now I cant seem to get the HSI tab to light up. When i have a flightplan loaded up in my Garmin 430W, I go to the PFD and scroll through the various HSI sources. i see GPS1, Skyview, and VOR. I also have bearing 1 and 2 which I have scrolled through every conceavable option. For now I have bearing 1 on GPS and bearing 2 on GPS. What I am trying to accomplish is have the AP track the GPS approach without using the heading bug to change course. Is there any direction anyone can provide about the bearing choices? Did i screw something up there that wont allow my HSI+ALT tab to light up as an option? Will the AP follow a GPS approach or course- is GPSS an option with the Skyview autopilot?

Thanks - any help someone can provide would be appreciated. Im getting very frustrated and assume this is 100% user error. I have probably pressed so many buttons I may have messed it up further.

Doug

steve m

Hi Doug

Not sure I fully follow your question but I will attempt to answer.

When I want to follow GPS source, I select the GPS source on the HSI as you indicate above and then go into "Nav" mode to allow the AP to follow the GPS. (If you use GPS "Direct" it should start following the magneta line right away.)

Iff you are somewhat off course, you will need to start in HDG mode with a heading that will intercept the Magneta line, once the heading is set, push NAV mode and it will arm the Nav mode which will transition the AP from from HDG mode to Nav mode once you are close to on course.

Steve

Doug94

Thanks for the reply, but the issue I’m having in the simplified AP is the HSI source button isn’t active. When I go in the pfd screen I can select the source. When I then go to the AP screen, simplified AP, the HSI+ALT is grayed out. if anyone knows how to engage that button that would be helpful.

my equipment includes the sky view classic w/mapping software and ADSB. An external navigator - Garmin 430W. I’m trying to fly a flight plan and approach thru the 430 and no HSI source is available when the AP is engaged however I can select the HSI source in the pfd menu.

any help???

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The rule of thumb is that if there's a valid course on the HSI, HSI+ALT should be available. Does TRK+ALT work?