AP stick on and off button

davwol

I have D- 180. I am prepairing to wire in the servos.  Can I get by without wiring in the stick disengage button (nowhere to mount a switch on the stick).   I would use the main Servo Power Switch/ Breaker  to turn the auto pilot off when I want to fly manually. Would this creat any problems?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You cannot complete calibration and installation without a disconnect button attached. It doesn't have to be on the stick, but it has to be somewhere.

If you kill power to the servos in flight, you'll get a big red error message on the EFIS that the servos are missing. We don't expect the servos to lose power in normal flight (even when the AP is "off"). We expect you to disengage the AP using the EFIS menu, the button on the AP74, or the switch wired to the disconnect line.

airguy

With that in mind - is a separate autopilot disconnect switch required somewhere, or can the AP74 be used for that? While I believe that it is good practice to have an AP disconnect on the stick, that is not always possible.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The disconnect switch function can not be performed by the AP74, though of course you can disconnect the AP from the AP74. Got it :p ? . The disconnect switch goes right to the servos, and they're designed to be overridden by that dedicated switch above all other commands coming from the EFIS. It doesn't need to be on the switch (it can be panel-mounted for example), but we do require a disconnect to be installed. FYI - to make sure you've installed it, its employed during the calibration process.

DBRV10

Put a tiny red pushbutton on your dash right in front of you!

Its not hard to do.....Just Do It!! One day you may regret not doing it and its a bit late then.

DB :)