Audio alerts problem

lancair360

Hey gang. Not getting any audio alerts from my Dynon. Dual SV 7” screens. PS4000 intercom.

When I go to settings on screen one the volume is up and everything is turn on, but I don’t get the boot greeting when I adjust the master volume.

If I exit that, and go to settings on screen 2 I get the boot greeting when adjust master volume. So I know it’s going through the intercom and volumes are working and good. But I don’t get alerts when operating the plane. None. Not like it’s too quiet to hear, cuz I can blast the volume. I get nothing.

So why would I get the boot up greeting when setting volume in audio setup on screen 2 but not screen one and why don’t I get any aural alerts?

kurtfly

I love flying!
I borrowed one of the PS engineering units from my avionics shop when my Garmin GMA340 was in the shop. I lost the AoA warning tones with this audio panel. I spoke to PS engineering at OSH and he said all the inputs on this have a squelch setting. It sounded like it needed to be adjusted in my case. This could be the same for you?

Kurt

lancair360

I don't know, because in the audio setup menu on the Dynon Skyview when setting the master volume it repeats the boot greeting so you can set the volume right. That worked on screen 2, not screen 1. And sounded fine coming through the PS4000. So why get that but no warnings?

The PS4000 has 3 settings on the switch, off, all and iso. I get the master volume adjust boot greeting only when it all. Off or iso it doesn't work. That's another piece of the puzzle maybe? In ISO I'm removed from the intercom, so the Skyview warnings ARE connected to the intercom. But again, screen 2 not 1, which is odd, and no aural indications come through. Weird.

preid

I assume you have it wired to both screens? Separate connection for each? this would happen if one screen has the audio connection and the second doesnt.

lancair360

If one screen has the audio connection and the other does not will that inhibit all aural alerts? Screen 2 is wired to the intercom, I can hear that when I adjust the master volume. Alerts pop up identically on screens 1 and 2, so why would screen 2 just give me the aural alerts? And the screens are linked, any changed made in audio setup on 1 or 2 is reflected on the other screen.

Feel like this is acutally simple and I'm missing something. Dynon is new to me, learning is occurring! Thanks for your help! Anyone have any other bright ideas? Or can explain it me, ha!

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
The wiring of a dual Skyview system to the audio system should connect the audio outputs of both Skyview systems together and then to the audio panel. This ensures that when one of the Skyview units fails that the other unit can still send an audio message to the audio panel

lancair360

The wiring of a dual Skyview system to the audio system should connect the audio outputs of both Skyview systems together and then to the audio panel. This ensures that when one of the Skyview units fails that the other unit can still send an audio message to the audio panel
Copy thanks. Not sure at this point if there's a way for me to tell. Panel was installed 4 years ago, I just got the plane. Maybe a wire got pulled from a pin. I'll dig into audio wiring schematic if I can find it and go from there. Thanks!

lancair360

Found this info in the install manual --
"SkyView systems with more than one display normally only output audio alerts from one display to minimize audio distortion."

But then on the next page it says
VOLUME CONTROL / TEST – Sets the volume level. While in this menu, sound is played continuously so that proper audio connectivity and volume levels can be confirmed.
o In this menu only, audio is only outputted from the actual display that is in the setup menu. This allows one to troubleshoot the physical audio connections. In actual operation, only one of the displays transmits audio at a time.

I get sound from screen two. not from screen one. but only one display normally outputs audio alerts according to the manual so in my mind I should be hearing alerts. Shouldn't matter if screen one isn't hooked to the audio panel. should it? Like

maartenversteeg

said above, both should be wired to the audio panel so if one fails you still get alerts. So let's say, in this case, screen one is no longer outputting audio, shouldn't I still be getting the alerts?

preid

The displays are primary and secondary, but yes one display, usually the first to boot up is the primary and it will output the alerts, etc, the other would not duplicate at same time.If that primary failed/ powered off the secondary would become the primary automatically. With that said do not put the wires of two displays together to same audio cable, that will make it very low and distorted. you should be able to get the sound from either display at any time with the sound setup,
to be clear each display must have a dedicated audio connection to audio panel. They do not share it. Originally Dynon had it setup the way you think but in a later version They made it that each display had to have its own connections. I’m guessing 4 years ago it was already setup the old way and the extra audio connectivity was not completed, hence you have one audio connection to only one display and the other does not have a direct audio connection.

jakej

Some confusion here ? Just thought I'd add my experience.
I usually use a 'hub' 25 pin pass through system & connect both displays to it -have been doing that on installs for years without any 'issues' - audio all good, with only 1 audio output to audio system.

lancair360

Screen two boots up first. Screen two has good audio to my headset ONLY in audio setup screen.

Screen one doesn’t give any audio in audio setup.

Sounds like it may be hooked up correctly then, screen two boots first, it’s primary, it gives me audio in audio setup menu. So the question then is why don’t I get aural alerts?

Again for clarification this isn’t a new install. Just a new plane to me. Avionics when in years ago. So I’m troubleshooting an in service system on my plane.
Thanks for the input everyone! Keep it coming!

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Confused about the reply to my suggestion. In Revision AG of thee Installation manual on page 4-34 Dynon states: "If there is more than one display on a SkyView network, you MUST connect all displays’ audio outputs to the same audio panel input to ensure that audio is always heard. Electrically short the respective left and right outputs together for stereo mode (i.e., left-to-left and right-to-right) or connect all audio outputs together for mono mode. The same rule applies for audio grounds.". The same is shown in the typical wiring diagram for a HDX dual display configuration dated 8/22/2019.

lancair360

Confused about the reply to my suggestion. In Revision AG of thee Installation manual on page 4-34 Dynon states: "If there is more than one display on a SkyView network, you MUST connect all displays’ audio outputs to the same audio panel input to ensure that audio is always heard. Electrically short the respective left and right outputs together for stereo mode (i.e., left-to-left and right-to-right) or connect all audio outputs together for mono mode. The same rule applies for audio grounds.". The same is shown in the typical wiring diagram for a HDX dual display configuration dated 8/22/2019.

Went back and read it again, you're right. Like I said, I'm not doing and install I'm troubleshooting so I'm jumping into the deep end on this! I appreciate your help and your patience.

Is it possible that in earlier versions this wasn't required? I wonder if it was wired correctly when installed in 2014 and wasn't updated. That would make total sense. It's pins 13 and 31 on the D37 plug for left and right audio out, and pin 30 is audio ground. Know where to look at least! If those are missing from the left display (I kind of hope so) then that's it and it's an easy fix.

Last edited:

preid

Post #10
“They do not share it. Originally Dynon had it setup the way you think but in a later version They made it that each display had to have its own connections. I’m guessing 4 years ago it was already setup the old way and the extra audio connectivity was not completed, hence you have one audio connection to only one display and the other does not have a direct audio connection.”

so for troubleshooting g look at those three wires from the non audio screen and see if they are connected. somewhere were you referenced it says audio will be poor if you put both displays together on one wire..

lancair360

So I have some wires to look at.

You say audio will be poor if you put both displays together on one wire but 4-34 says you do connect both screens together and then to the audio panel. That's revision AG 5/21/2020

If there is more than one display on a SkyView network, you MUST connect all displays’ audio outputs to the same audio panel input to ensure that audio is always heard. Electrically short the respective left and right outputs together for stereo mode (i.e., left-to-left and right-to- right) or connect all audio outputs together for mono mode. The same rule applies for audio grounds.

No matter for now. Wire hunting when I get to the hangar. Thanks for you help with this!

Raymo

I love aviation!
I have both screens in my system connected to the same input of the Dynon intercom, per the install manual. @lancair360, sounds like you know what needs to be done.

lancair360

There are no wires on the left screen pins 13,30 and 31. So need to add those and rewire it into the intercom.

gonna take a little while but I’ll report back. Thanks for the help everyone!!

lancair360

Okey dokey, all done AND it all works.

No pins/wires in the left screen connector for audio out, only the right screem hook up so that makes sense. They hooked the right screen up to music in instead of unswitched AND instead of doing a pigtail for the L and R audio out into the intercom (Dynon is stereo, PMA4000 is mono so you just twist left and right wires together) they jammed both L and R into one hole on the D25. So I had to cut that off and pull the rest of the pins and install a new D25 for the PMA 4000 intercom. Run wires from left screen to intercom panel and take all 4 audio in wires (left screen left and right and right screen left and right) and create a single wire pigtail for that and for both grounds. Moved the input to unswitched pins instead of music in and reinstalled. Ops check good.

Avionics shop on the field is super great. Hooked me up with pins/barrels and they had the D sub tools in the pilot shop to buy. Really thought I'd look at wires and go from there, did not expect to be a D sub expert by the end of the day. Went pretty easy actually. I'm stoked it all works,

Thanks again for your input everyone!!