Auto Pilot Disappointment. We need communication.

constantspeed

I check the AP approval list regularly, as I am sure many do who have been waiting, and now, after years, we see the new bullet point "This project will not include approval for additional 33 or 35 models at this time." All this waiting on Dynon, and for what... just the 36 and A36 approval? If you have one of those, or even a 33, why would you even be holding your breath waiting for Dynon, when they are already approved and available from Garmin?

Dynon owes its customers and potential customers a much deeper and detailed explanation and better guidance for the ever promised, but always delayed certification of the auto pilot system for the expanded fleet of Bonanza models. I purchased my full system for the J-35 model in the fall of 2019, with the AP expected certification by the end of that year. Of course that date had been kicked down the road many times prior to my investment, but invest I did, not only in the avionics, but the significant time and labor for such an upgrade. And each quarter, as the expected date on the Dynon web page neared, the page is revised with a new date of wishful thinking. I love my panel, but am losing faith, and it is hard to recommend Dynon now to the many considering Dynon, who ask me about my experience. All the while my J model, which was not on the Garmin list at all in the beginning, is now on the "Certification Programs Currently in-Progress" approval list, and has been for months. Which AP will actually arrive first?

What I find most frustrating and disappointing in all of this, is the complete lack of communication from Dynon about what really is going on and what really to expect. No info, zero. Just the news that after years of waiting, oops, your model has now been dropped from the latest approval. The auto pilot is a huge deal and a very important component for those planning to invest in a full glass makeover of their panel. It is insulting to prospective customers, not to mention the very real customers who have invested their faith and dollars in the Dynon system. How many of us would have been willing to do so, had we known the perpetual wait, and still with no resolution in sight? Yeah, that is what I thought.

Dynon, give us more than that, tell us what is going on and be honest with your certified user base, and give model-specific detail, otherwise I am afraid you may become relegated to the experimental market only, and fully cede this space to Garmin.

Sincerely,
The AP Panel Blank Space Holder

Last edited:

Brent Dana

I have been thinking on this as well. Ended up spending 40k on my panel, with gns430. My whole mission was the auto pilot. Glass panels are exceptional but auto pilot meant everything to me. Now im glass no ap. If would have done a 20k ap, and an avidyne gps. I would have spent same money and have what i wanted!
its not that i think dynon mislead me, its that i feel like i made a decision on a hope rather than reality.

I do believe Dynon was sincere. However, i would like to know now what the real plan going forward is. Iam searching auto pilots daily and bugged that i have to spend more money that wont integrate seemlessly as i was planning.

i do think that older 35’s are better target market for auto pilots as well. There is no competition, and every older bonanza wants one. The newer planes have lots of options already.

Friday, I sold Dynon’s package to 4 owners of different type planes that will be buying in next 6 months when they saw my plane.

The mechanic who installed mine, has now gotten his partners to agree to do their 182.

I love Dynon product and people.

My blood runs red, white, and dynon blue!

But there is an issue here.

i want to know why we were dropped, as part of the approval?

What the prospects are now, what can we do to help?

Give it to me straight, i am trying to make the best business decisions, not based on a hope.

What i have done is what i have done already!

i need to make a real plan going forward.

Funny, i was sure that the ap, would be approved before i was done with my install, which started in Nov.

Attachments

• 190856E4-7825-49DF-817C-4E2DEFB6D9DA.jpeg
    190856E4-7825-49DF-817C-4E2DEFB6D9DA.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 169

spectre6573

Same feeling here as a Mooney owner that was told that short and mid bodies would be certified end of last year by their sales. Bought the package and installed it and then comes the news of everything pushed back and now the bullet points. Then the word that the airplane has been parked in the corner of their hanger and has not timeline for when it will be worked again however, was told by sales that the plane was flying weekly and moving down the path.
Next was the adding the Baron infringe of the Mooney on the list out of nowhere. Faith is now low.

Leonard

I check the AP approval list regularly, as I am sure many do who have been waiting, and now, after years, we see the new bullet point "This project will not include approval for additional 33 or 35 models at this time." All this waiting on Dynon, and for what... just the 36 and A36 approval? If you have one of those, or even a 33, why would you even be holding your breath waiting for Dynon, when they are already approved and available from Garmin?

Dynon owes its customers and potential customers a much deeper and detailed explanation and better guidance for the ever promised, but always delayed certification of the auto pilot system for the expanded fleet of Bonanza models. I purchased my full system for the J-35 model in the fall of 2019, with the AP expected certification by the end of that year. Of course that date had been kicked down the road many times prior to my investment, but invest I did, not only in the avionics, but the significant time and labor for such an upgrade. And each quarter, as the expected date on the Dynon web page neared, the page is revised with a new date of wishful thinking. I love my panel, but am losing faith, and it is hard to recommend Dynon now to the many considering Dynon, who ask me about my experience. All the while my J model, which was not on the Garmin list at all in the beginning, is now on the "Certification Programs Currently in-Progress" approval list, and has been for months. Which AP will actually arrive first?

What I find most frustrating and disappointing in all of this, is the complete lack of communication from Dynon about what really is going on and what really to expect. No info, zero. Just the news that after years of waiting, oops, your model has now been dropped from the latest approval. The auto pilot is a huge deal and a very important component for those planning to invest in a full glass makeover of their panel. It is insulting to prospective customers, not to mention the very real customers who have invested their faith and dollars in the Dynon system. How many of us would have been willing to do so, had we known the perpetual wait, and still with no resolution in sight? Yeah, that is what I thought.

Dynon, give us more than that, tell us what is going on and be honest with your certified user base, and give model-specific detail, otherwise I am afraid you may become relegated to the experimental market only, and fully cede this space to Garmin.

Sincerely,
The AP Panel Blank Space Holder
Another J35 here trying to decide on Dynon..

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Just an update - we've posted a new thread on this topic here: