Auto Pilot - Simplified or Advanced?

russp

I love flying!
I have a single Skyview HDX with the knobs and the AP button panels. I've been using the AP in expert mode simply so I can use the separate control panel I had fitted. I've been looking at the videos and reading the manual and I'm fast coming to the conclusion that I'd make my life a lot simpler if I swapped to the simplified mode and wrote off the panel (or even took it out and put a simple level button in in it's place).

Can anyone tell me why for a simple VFR pilot there is any advantage in using the expert menu. It just seems that I'm adding complexity and additional operations for no gain. There is no chance the plane will ever receive IMC approval so familiarisation for possible future IFR isn't an issue. All I want to do is use it to fly hands off or to follow a flight plan.

W

William_Ince

Can anyone tell me why for a simple VFR pilot there is any advantage in using the expert menu. It just seems that I'm adding complexity and additional operations for no gain.
You just answered your own question.
To reiterate. there is no reason to use other than the Simple Mode for basic VFR operations. If you were doing IFR or getting an instrument rating, that may be different.
When I first installed my Skyview system, for the first few months,I enabled the Expert Mode, but soon came to the same conclusion as you stated above. For VFR, the Simple Mode checks all the boxes. It does a great job and keeps things simple.

To each his own . . . but I totally concur with your assertion above. :cool:

Raymo

I love aviation!
There are a couple very good reason to keep the button panel.

1. Auto trim
2. Level button (though this can be any momentary button)

I like being able to set an altitude and only having the AP go there when I tell it to do so.

airguy

I like being able to set an altitude and only having the AP go there when I tell it to do so.

You can do that without the control panel as well. Using the Expert mode on the screen itself, once the AP is engaged and holding altitude, you can change the altitude bug and nothing happens until you select "Nose Up" or "Nose Down" as appropriate, then it will go to the newly selected altitude.

Raymo

I love aviation!

You can do that without the control panel as well. Using the Expert mode on the screen itself, once the AP is engaged and holding altitude, you can change the altitude bug and nothing happens until you select "Nose Up" or "Nose Down" as appropriate, then it will go to the newly selected altitude.

Thanks. I thought expert mode was only available with the button panel.

russp

I love flying!
Auto trim (if connected) still works with the simplified mode according to the dynon videos I've seen but regardless my trim isn't connected through the AP panel because the UK LAA wouldn't allow it and a friend with the same plane/installations can't make it work anyway.

In the simplified mode enabling the AP via the big red AP disconnect button on the yoke switches it into trk+alt mode which is actually better than level as with level unless your rudder is trimmed perfectly the plane will drift off course (at least mine does). There's also a LEVEL button on the screen but it is two button presses.

Much as I hate to effectively disable a perfectly good button panel it does add unnecessary complexity. I'm thinking I should have researched it more carefully and just specified the single level button. Live and learn I guess.

There are a couple very good reason to keep the button panel.

1. Auto trim
2. Level button (though this can be any momentary button)

W

William_Ince

OTOH . . . I absolutely love the autopilot Knob Panel!
Very convenient verses that goofy mini-toggle in the Classic display.

AlanR

Auto trim (if connected) still works with the simplified mode according to the dynon videos I've seen but regardless my trim isn't connected through the AP panel because the UK LAA wouldn't allow it and a friend with the same plane/installations can't make it work anyway.
I am in the UK, have the AP panel with autotrim all signed off by the LAA and it works perfectly and is just a great thing to have.It works perfectly in Simplified or Expert mode. :)

gtae07

I love flying!
Thanks. I thought expert mode was only available with the button panel.

My dad has the expert mode enabled and has no button panel. It's a bit cumbersome to use (admittedly I haven't had much time using it in that mode at all), but I think what he likes best is the airspeed hold climb/descent mode, and being able to only engage pitch or roll individually.

mmarien

Murray M.
I think it's worth figuring out a few of the expert mode functions even if you don't use them all. I'm VFR only and use expert mode for a few reasons. One is I can set the altitude and hand fly around a area without worrying about my altitude. Works great over a city with instructions to maintain an altitude. You can spend your time sight seeing and looking for traffic.

I also switch to HDG entering a complex airspace VFR. They are going to give you an altitude to maintain and vector you with headings - not track. Again, I'd rather be sightseeing with my passenger than keeping my eyes on the dials trying to maintain a heading and altitude.

There are a lot of options in expert mode. It doesn't say anywhere you have to know how to use them all. My cell phone also has a myriad of functions that I don't use or know how to use. The one I know how to use work well for me.

W

William_Ince

I think it's worth figuring out a few of the expert mode functions even if you don't use them all. I'm VFR only and use expert mode for a few reasons. One is I can set the altitude and hand fly around a area without worrying about my altitude. Works great over a city with instructions to maintain an altitude. You can spend your time sight seeing and looking for traffic.

I also switch to HDG entering a complex airspace VFR. They are going to give you an altitude to maintain and vector you with headings - not track. Again, I'd rather be sightseeing with my passenger than keeping my eyes on the dials trying to maintain a heading and altitude.

There are a lot of options in expert mode. It doesn't say anywhere you have to know how to use them all.
Very good points! :cool:

johnsteichen

To the person who said that they didn’t need to know how all the functions of their autopilot work.
IMHO I think it is important for a pilot to understand completely how their autopilot works. Airplanes have crashed recently because the pilots did not understand their autopilots. Your aircraft is not your iPhone. This discussion underlies the wisdom of Dynon when they designed their autopilot

W

William_Ince

To the person who said that they didn’t need to know how all the functions of their autopilot work.
IMHO I think it is important for a pilot to understand completely how their autopilot works. Airplanes have crashed recently because the pilots did not understand their autopilots. Your aircraft is not your iPhone. This discussion underlies the wisdom of Dynon when they designed their autopilot.
Concur totally.

mmarien

Murray M.
Mark & Quote Quote
johnS wrote on Apr 12th, 2019 at 2:26am:
IMHO I think it is important for a pilot to understand completely how their autopilot works. Airplanes have crashed recently because the pilots did not understand their autopilots. Your aircraft is not your iPhone. This discussion underlies the wisdom of Dynon when they designed their autopilot.

Concur totally.

This comment may be directed at my comment:
There are a lot of options in expert mode. It doesn't say anywhere you have to know how to use them all.
From watching some Air Safety Institute videos I'll agree that some accidents could have been avoided had the pilot been more knowledgeable about the systems in their airplane. An AP becomes a handy tool when inadvertently flying into IMC if the pilot knows how to use it.

However, as a VFR pilot, I believe I can safely use the AP in expert mode from wheels up, through capturing an altitude, cruise and decent without ever invoking VNAV or knowing how it works. I also admit I never learnt to use the Facebook app on my Android cell phone either. Yet there it is and I can't delete it. ;)