Autopilot panel function

Jaque

I have 40 hours on my Zenith Cruzer and have been setting up the autopilot in simplified mode.
During the build, I wired in a SV-AP-Panel head according to the installation instructions. The autopilot controls are all available and work using the Skyview HDX screen but the basic AP on/off and level button on the AP-Panel head do not work. Before I start checking wiring, is there anything obvious I might be missing (operator error)?

Last edited:

andresmith76

I love flying!
You should read the HDX Pilots User Guide chapter 8 on Autopilot Operation.
Under the heading "Skyview Autopilot Control Panel Operation" on page 8-30: "When SkyView HDX is set for Simplified Controls, the buttons on the AP module are inactive"

Jaque

I must have assumed that at least the basic AP and level buttons would still work. Might be a nice software update for at least the safety feature of having a quick access level button whether you’re in simplified or expert.
Not much point of me having the head at all if I’m running in simplified. Could replace it with another radio and the dedicated level button I guess or run in expert which is overkill for me. Live and learn.

Rhino

You can use Hold to Engage. It's not a level button, but it's a simplified method of activating the autopilot without installing separate buttons. Page 10-22 of the install manual.

By the way, the Level button is just a momentary switch that applies ground to the EFIS pin. It has a pin for voltage, but that's just to power the backlight. You can easily put a simple momentary switch or button anywhere you want.

Jaque

Thanks for the info. I helped another owner wire in the Dynon dedicated level button on and older build and figured it was a simple momentary set up. Thinking of swapping out the AP head for a Dynon radio but will have to find space for the intercom. Just can’t see using the expert mode in a VFR plane.