AutoPilot Settings For LPV Approach

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Can someone please let me know what setting I should change in the autopilot so that the system will fly the laterail guidance better on a GPS approach?

I have read this post:

The information privided about the new settings is really good (THANKS DON) however...if...IF...there could be an amplification of the description of what the various settings do that would be helpful.

In the instance of my autopilot, it seems to fly the initial part of the approach real well with respect to laterally following the guidance however as the approach continues and the IAS lowers to more like 80 KIAS it seems to wander around way more than I prefer. There are a bunch of settings so hopefully I can get some guidance on what parameter I should start with.

THANKS!!!

RV6-KPTW

I fly approaches between 90 and 100 knots to eliminate the wander. Peel power towards the end as needed.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Can someone please give me some advice on fine tuning the lateral guidance of the autopilot when doing a RNAV approach?

Has someone made their own inflight tuning guide like the existing flow chart that they would be willing to share???

So my lateral nav works really well in cruise however when flying a RNAV approach it begins to wander left and right so I was wondering what settings to increase (CDI GAIN/ CDI DOT GAIN/ XTE GAIN/ XTE DOT GAIN). I think I need to up the just the XTE gain.

Anyone figured out this stull I will buy you a soda at the next EAA event.

THANKS!!!

jcarne

Can someone please give me some advice on fine tuning the lateral guidance of the autopilot when doing a RNAV approach?

Has someone made their own inflight tuning guide like the existing flow chart that they would be willing to share???

So my lateral nav works really well in cruise however when flying a RNAV approach it begins to wander left and right so I was wondering what settings to increase (CDI GAIN/ CDI DOT GAIN/ XTE GAIN/ XTE DOT GAIN). I think I need to up the just the XTE gain.

Anyone figured out this stull I will buy you a soda at the next EAA event.

THANKS!!!
I think you are correct on what needs changed. Only problem is I have no idea how small/large of a step should be used. I will be playing around with this as well sometime soon as mine gets a little looser than I would like toward the rwy.

rjones560

Just out of curiosity what aircraft is this installed in? I have an RV10 and I fly approaches at 100 kts. I can slow down to land easily from 200 feet. Remember that light planes are the slowest thing on the approach. The slower jets are flying an ILS or LPV approach at 110-120. I know because I used to fly them. You will be doing everyone a favor if you fly your approaches as fast as you comfortably can.