Bending brown thermocouple wires and sensor leads

dbwindom

RV-8
Can the brown thermocouple wires be bent tightly? How about the armored sensor leads? I'm thinking about looping the extra lengths and cinching the loop with a zip-tie. I think I've seen this done, but I'd like to confirm with the manufacture that this procedure will not damage the wires.
Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thermocouple wire... and any wire, especially of that wire gauge... shouldn't be bent "too" aggressively to avoid wire fatigue.

The brown thermocouple wire (harness) can be cut to the preferred length so you don't HAVE to coil up the excess. The sensor thermocouple wire (armored wire) can also be cut to length, but that's more problematic because of the armor.

Can the brown thermocouple wires be bent tightly?  How about the armored sensor leads?  I'm thinking about looping the extra lengths and cinching the loop with a zip-tie.  I think I've seen this done, but I'd like to confirm with the manufacture that this procedure will not damage the wires. 
Thanks

mmarien

Murray M.
I left a loop at the EMS. It's about four or five inches in diameter. I think this is recommended for strain relief. Jake may chime in here on that.

I also put a slight bend in a at least one of sensors at the exhaust. This was from poor planning. I wanted the sensors to point inside the exhaust and drilled the holes while the exhaust was off. I goofed on the position so had to bend the probe to fit. I don't think it's recommended although mine have a few hundred hours on them and are still working. I did buy more expensive probes ($100+/ea)

jakej

My method is to have all the brown wires at equal length with the armored probe wire which is on the furtherest cylinder away from the firewall.
This makes ALL (grouped left & right side of engine) connections of the probe/brown wires easily swapped for troubleshooting (by swapping probe connections to see if the fault follows the change/s) without having to undo undo & redo multiple cable ties - much quicker & easier to IMO ;)

I will be doing an annual inspection in 2 days so can take some photos & post them if you want ?

Jake J

dbwindom

RV-8
Photos? You betcha! Please, please, please. I'm kinda getting the "analyze paralysis" , where I keep pondering instead of installing. :D