Black screen Part Deux!

Frankh

D100 been installed and flying for 40 hours. Turned on the master last night, got a flicker and then a black screen with a bunch of tightly spaced vertical white lines...Would not power down.

Removed the unit and removed the battery, replaced and it booted up just fine.

Is this a rare event...What should I do?

Frank

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We've since heard from Frank directly and are working with him to get his EFIS back up and running.

Frankh

Got it back last night!..

New bright screen is definatly cool!

Frank

jim

http://www.tru-cast.com/EFIS/DCP_5897.jpg

Yesterday I flew my experimental with the newly installed EFIS-D100 (2nd flight). Two of the 6 times I powered up the EFIS I got the same bad screen (as shown in the linked photo).

The first time I got it, engine was off with EFIS running on ship's battery (battery charger attached).
Second time I got it was 2-3 minutes after engine start with Alternator running (14Vdc)

Both times: The screen came up as in the photo (i.e., no Dynon logo first). I left it on for about 2 minutes with no change to the screen. I pushed "off" button to no effect. I turned off power (via circuit breaker) to the instrument (I use Master_Power only; i.e., no Keep_alive). After 1-2 minutes screen went blank. I waited another minute then pressed power button. Dynon logo appeared and it ran OK after that until shutdown.

Internal battery between 14-14.4 volts. Temp about 16 deg F.

What is going on? I am starting to loose confidence in the EFIS due to reliability concerns.

Part of my concerns stem from the fact that if the software has a problem, there is no way to reset the unit if it has an internal battery. I had a problem last week where the screen "locked up", and I could not power down the instrument until the internal battery was depleted. I think these problems need to be duplicated and corrected, but a physical switch to reset power may also be prudent for the long run.

Jim Dunn

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Jim,

This is definitely something that we want to get fixed for you, and not something which is at all common (though we have seen it I think twice before). Since you sent an email to our support channel, we'll continue on there.