Can the pitot mast be shortened?

jefish

To make the pitot tube the smallest forehead-target possible, I'm wondering if the mast can be cut shorter. How short can it be? Looking for pitot port must be n" below bottom surface of wing guidance.

Brudy61

I shortened the Pitot mount, so it is closer to the wing.
I would like to know if my airspeed readings would be the same with a standard length pitot mount.
The airspeed seems to read higher than actual air speed when in the pattern.
Airspeed reading at cruise seems good compared with the GPS

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The official guidance is: "In general, we recommend you mount it at least 6 inches (150mm) below the wing and with the tip of the probe between 2 inches (50mm) and 12 inches (300mm) behind the leading edge of the wing. Typically a pitot probe is mounted about mid-wingspan to minimize the effects of both the propeller and the wing tips. Testing during the development of the Dynon Avionics AOA/Pitot Probe / Heated AOA/Pitot Probe confirmed that the standard mounting locations for the pitot probe in the Van’s Aircraft RV series of aircraft work well for a Dynon Avionics AOA/Pitot Probe / Heated AOA/Pitot Probe."

In general, as you get closer to the wing, you get less of the "true" free airflow as the air is influenced by the airfoil. How close you can get is going to depend a lot of the airfoil design. We don't have any substantive guidance to offer here.