Cessna 182 Auto Pilot Approved

Corefile

Congrats @Dynon !

Hopefully this paves the wave for a faster approval process. My Cessna 180 is ready and waiting 😀

greentips

Wow! 2 years ago I ordered the Skyview HDX with autopilot cables, thinking the a/p was just around the corner. I guess it's finally time to pull the cables and place the order. Just when I told the student pilot spouse I was done ordering airplane parts! Happy days.

Very cool news!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
They're shipping! Caveat, the initial production run is already spoken for, so we're effectively backordered. But customers have them in hand!

JSmith

Nothing like waiting over 2 years for an A/P to be approved, then once you order the kit be told the only half of the kit will work…. Dynon, what’s the deal with the pitch servo on the 182P???

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The short version is that our R&D airplane was a C182TR (turbo+retractable). We'd done analysis on fixed gear variants, and even inspected some to confirm compatibility. Unfortunately, we missed a key difference on the pitch axis. Know that fixing this is our top AP project priority right now.

JSmith

The short version is that our R&D airplane was a C182TR (turbo+retractable). We'd done analysis on fixed gear variants, and even inspected some to confirm compatibility. Unfortunately, we missed a key difference on the pitch axis. Know that fixing this is our top AP project priority right now.
Just curious as to why you would use a C182TR and not a fixed gear platform. That doesn’t make sense seeing as the vast majority of 182’s are fixed gear. I really hope that some how you can fix this soon. Hell if you need a plane to use to get this fixed, I’ll bring you mine.

JP JR

How many of the 182 fixed models does this affect?

greentips

It would likely affect at least the K through N models. Mine was a Cessna test bed airframe owned and flown by Cessna between its build date (1966) and its sale to the first owner in 1972. It's logbooks show Cessna gave it a 1 year airworthiness cert each year until they sold it and gave it a permanent M model designation in 72. Which is why I offered to bring the airplane out to Dynon in the first place. I think thats a bunch of airplanes. I've owned it since 1990.

TNIndy

So you continue to work on the Cessna 182 ahead of the Baron 58 and Mooney M20? My understanding is that only one can go through approval at a time.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It affects all non-retractable versions, so all E and later models, except for the retractable R182 and the TR182. We hope to have an update shortly as our engineering and certification teams work through the issue.

Generally, we have multiple projects in work at any given time, both internally and with FAA. So there isn't an "either or" constraint strictly, although of course we have only so many resources (people/calories). That said, this among our highest priority efforts in certification right now.

TNIndy

I will ask a question a different way. Which Dynon Autopilot is the FAA currently working on?