CO Detectors

lavallejd

CO detection is becoming a serious topic of discussion from most forums and the FAA safety team.
Unfortunately for us Certified Dynon users, we can't intergrate a CO detector into our HDx panels because of the certifiecation process the FAA imposes on them. Aithre has a wonderful solution but only if you have a non certified Dynon and experimental aircraft. So I propose the following solution for Dynon. Develop a reliable CO detection system that can integrate with the HDx system. Thoughts?

Rhino

Unlikely to happen. Whatever gets approved for certified aircraft has to be added to the STC. Since the Aithre already interfaces with Skyview, I find it extremely unlikely they'd they to reinvent the wheel and develop their own. Maybe you should speak to the owner of Aithre, Jim Ruttler.

lavallejd

Unlikely to happen. Whatever gets approved for certified aircraft has to be added to the STC. Since the Aithre already interfaces with Skyview, I find it extremely unlikely they'd they to reinvent the wheel and develop their own. Maybe you should speak to the owner of Aithre, Jim Ruttler.
I did, at Sun N Fun. This is all in Dynon’s court, according to Jim.

Rhino

Then they just need to get it added to the STCs, not develop a new capability. But given the glacial pace at which the FAA moves on new approvals, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. That assumes of course that Dynon seeks such an approval. But, given that the NTSB is pushing to make CO detectors mandatory, such an action is certainly a possibility.