CO Guardian Configuration

PeterMac

I love flying!
I'm hoping someone can help me get my Guardian 353D-101 CO Monitor configured on Skyview.

I've followed what limited information I could find, and have it working via enhanced input Pin 23 on my EMS, however it shows a reading of around 165ppm when just sitting in the clean air of my well ventilated workshop. There's no way this reading is accurate.

When mapping the input I selected Function = Pressure, and Sensor = CO Guardian 353N-201. I note that despite the 353D being advertised by Guardian as specifically for the Dynon Skyview, it doesn't rate a mention in the list of available sensors.

When I look at the Sensor Debug data on my Skyview I note the following:
* RAW: 543
* CAL(V): 0.6622
* VALUE: 165.5
The Skyview displays 166.

When I press the TEST button on the CO Monitor the sensor data reads full scale, as follows:
*RAW: 4094
*CAL(V): 4.9976
*VALUE: nan
The Skyview displays a red cross, indicating off scale.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I correct it?

PeterMac

I love flying!
I found an archived thread from five months ago titled "Added: CO Guardian Support", which, at the end of the thread, shows some communication between Dynon's djones and forum member Lee_Kitson relating to my exact same problem. See a screenshot of the last few posts below.

Was there ever any resolution to this?

Forum Screenshot 190322.jpg

PeterMac

I love flying!
I feel like I'm talking to myself here. I've now sent emails to both Guardian and Dynon Support seeking advice.

Out of interest, has anyone managed to set up a Guardian 353D CO Monitor on their Skyview system, and have it display a ppm value that seems realistic?

djones

Administrator
Staff member
I have reached out to Guardian in an attempt to get to the bottom of this.. I should have more info soon.

PeterMac

I love flying!
Well, I found the problem. It was my own doing all along. I'd wired the EMS input from the wrong pin of the CO Monitor. Very embarrassed, but also very thankful and appreciative for support offered from Jose Ortiz (Guardian Avionics), Don Jones (Dynon), and fellow Guardian 353D CO Monitor user Keith Smith.

Through all of this I have at least now worked out how to do the math to make the 353D series CO Monitor read correct ppm on a Skyview system. Please send me an email at petermac65@dodo.com.au if you want some help with this. It's not as straight-forward as it seems.

Last edited:

swatson999

I looked at CO Guardian, then found out about Aithre. Much cheaper, integrates with Skyview, 10-year life, etc. Picked one up at OSH and will install it this week while the plane is down, and report back (but my buddy has one and says that it works perfectly with his AFS). None of that fiddly stuff everyone is talking about with CO Guardian.

PeterMac

I love flying!
There's still the "fiddly stuff" with the Aithre product. They just address it in the installation instructions by saying to contact Don Jones at Dynon.

swatson999

Who sent a .sfg file with everything already set up, apparently (we'll see once I get it hooked up), requiring only a "fiddly" upload. :)

As I said, I'll report back how easy/difficult it is to install and set up the Aithre, but I'm hopeful.

TMartinPNW

Well, I found the problem. It was my own doing all along. I'd wired the EMS input from the wrong pin of the CO Monitor. Very embarrassed, but also very thankful and appreciative for support offered from Jose Ortiz (Guardian Avionics), Don Jones (Dynon), and fellow Guardian 353D CO Monitor user Keith Smith.

Through all of this I have at least now worked out how to do the math to make the 353D series CO Monitor read correct ppm on a Skyview system. Please send me an email at petermac65@dodo.com.au if you want some help with this. It's not as straight-forward as it seems.
Hi Peter, I'll send you an email. I'm having a similar connection issue with my new SV HDX, currently reads 773PPM (I'd be dead if that were true!!). If you could share any info on the 353D it would be most appreciated. Many thanks!

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
I still need to connect the Guardian to the Dynon, so I would presumably run into the same issues, I also send an email to Peter Mac

PeterMac

I love flying!
Hi Peter, I'll send you an email. I'm having a similar connection issue with my new SV HDX, currently reads 773PPM (I'd be dead if that were true!!). If you could share any info on the 353D it would be most appreciated. Many thanks!
I hope my lengthy email provides the detail to get your 353D working properly. This has been a good trip back down memory lane recalling what I needed to do to get mine working
I still need to connect the Guardian to the Dynon, so I would presumably run into the same issues, I also send an email to Peter Mac
Likewise, I hope my email reply helps :)

Lee_Kitson

I have reached out to Guardian in an attempt to get to the bottom of this.. I should have more info soon.
Don, have you been able to get to the bottom of this. My plane is flying now and I'd like to display the correct CO value on the Skyview

Lee_Kitson

For those that follow looking for a solution to this problem, the fix that PeterMac provided seems to have worked. The CO value on my Skyview now reads zero when in fresh air as it should. Thanks Peter!

PeterMac

I love flying!
For those that follow looking for a solution to this problem, the fix that PeterMac provided seems to have worked. The CO value on my Skyview now reads zero when in fresh air as it should. Thanks Peter!
Very pleased that I could help Lee :)

For anyone else that needs some help getting their 353D CO Monitor to read accurately on a Skyview system, I have now written a detailed procedure. Once you understand how the output voltage of the CO Monitor works, then you can see that the standard configuration file (sfg file) parameters will never work. In addition to a procedure, I have also developed a spreadsheet tool to help determine the sensor configuration parameters that will suit your specific CO Monitor (every one will be slightly different). I am more than happy to share both for free. Just send me an email at petermac65@dodo.com.au

PeterMac

I love flying!
Who sent a .sfg file with everything already set up, apparently (we'll see once I get it hooked up), requiring only a "fiddly" upload. :)

As I said, I'll report back how easy/difficult it is to install and set up the Aithre, but I'm hopeful.
Hi swatson999,
Just looping back here, respectfully, to see how you got on with the Aithre CO Monitor. Did the Dynon-supplied sfg file work out-of-the-box? Am just interested, so others may also know.
Cheers

swatson999

Hi swatson999,
Just looping back here, respectfully, to see how you got on with the Aithre CO Monitor. Did the Dynon-supplied sfg file work out-of-the-box? Am just interested, so others may also know.
Cheers
It works great! I highly recommend the Aithre CO monitor...easy install, 10-year life before refurbishment, remote installation, accurate results.

Rhino

It works great! I highly recommend the Aithre CO monitor...easy install, 10-year life before refurbishment, remote installation, accurate results.
Which one do you have? There's four different models.