Colored vertical stripes

tomkk

RV-12 ELSA
So, I went away for two weeks over the holidays. I flew the day before I left and everything was OK. I flew the day after I returned and this is what I got when I powered up. I powered down then back up several times and it eventually booted OK.

When in that state, it does not respond to Button 1 Power Off attempts nor will it go into Setup with Buttons 7&8.

I'd like to think it'll just not happen again but I don't suppose that's likely ...

RFWpDvjePmDoXy91P0OErVrd8pKdjxiSpeP_PL4efweN81aUJZIUV_0eqZ9N9bzHBnEk5wUVSggstZXHfrlo26lPvaw9oUHFtyl3McU1JMoG560OOwcBY20CHZ-i9muokQZAeXCq54NxWQgAWVTPM-BL74cyGH9R8L17y9XNCmtMUdwlMwZmSj2hs-fWlr5-DaBR96m4Cs4dLjHhwFqHNp_u17idjfxZiI221XHXgyfEIsq_kGg6D1Lm50BrShRW-m1Dy9Kl_U5E4LfEZC5n3qOTc58p3AhcIcJbsls5OZwydf9vM9xgdRzQiSwOFr1MSHMYpeoH6rXuWX7VNtZNbfZyi4BciAYhXLBDq6UzW55iXdlv9v7iFTyP7j4VVQPwzQdZJJhGUMuCLZF_kVfFeI190QSmu1PYoK7WTWik7PlSgBA6j0c_alQbR0s4jBaLRDva3NqnQ-w4VDhniNegKSOg-XjJ8tWvTqzAXSpOijl92tHWZ5fnD0Bpyfd7BagU4q53tnfyhgQAKgQ-1LkKvIoeICPUWm11GKks0aCJuh5DzNEv1PeNOQPbSaHB91woNav2uSTAJg2jtwW6hrq5fHpjz0UkxZ7KsIZJgpXzieRh_1OOpC1IM9YR75d56j_JHqQrJ5dAIVBC3NW20PaW52aeVA=s878-no

Terke

I love flying GP4!
Your lines are prettier than mine. I get this every time my left screen fires up.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4174_001.PNG
    IMG_4174_001.PNG
    879 KB · Views: 213

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So transient lines when booting isn't an issue, but if you're failing to boot at all and it happens more than rarely, we'll want to see the display. Note that pushing buttons 1/2/5 simultaneously will do a hard reset, and it happens at a deep hardware level so it always works.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
That is what I call the "Rainbow Screen Of Death" (RSOD).

I had a BRAND NEW SV-1000 that I bought and energized and it fired up and displayed a total of THREE TIMES and it did exactly that...RSOD... Multiple power offs/ons did not do anything so I called Dynon and they replaced it...THANKFULLY!!!

Then the new replacement screen worked fine for a bunch of power up cycles...then did that AGAIN ONLY ONCE...then it has worked fine ever since.

Would really like to know what "magic" causes that...
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RV8JD

My 10.2" SkyView Touch (SV-D1000T) developed the same issue as the OP. The unit has approximately 425 hours on it.

On several occasions recently, on the ground prior to engine start, when the Master and Alternator switches were turned on, the SkyView Touch (SVT) showed those vertical colored lines when trying to boot up.  When I turned the Master and Alt switches off and then turned them back on, the SVT booted up normally.  Sometimes I had to do it twice or three times before it would boot up normally.

There have been no problems with the unit in-flight.

I emailed Dynon support late yesterday and received the response below this morning (which is contrary to Reply #3 by Dynon support in this thread):

"These kind of errors are usually the result of a weak or loose connection. To verify this, the next time you get the vertical stripes, reach under the panel and gently wiggle the wiring harness. If there is any change to the display, then you have a weak connection. Typically it will be a weak ground.

Good luck, let me know how it works out."

I’ll do as they suggest and see what happens.

RV8JD

To close out my post above (#5). I emailed Dynon Support the link below to a 3 minute video of a failed boot up (note that the two flashes are just the bursts of light from the SVT overwhelming the camera in the iPhone).  This is typical of the problem I saw.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-CLrvr65/0/eecc33b8/1280/i-CLrvr65-1280.mp4

They issued an RMA number and I was able to drop it off at their office last Monday and pick it up on Friday, repaired.  They replaced the SSD and one or two other components.  Re-installed it (RV-8) and flew it yesterday and it worked perfectly.

Although it was about 6 months past the official 3 year warranty period (warranty is from the date of retail sale in my case, rather than first in-service use), Dynon waived the flat repair fee.  I appreciate Dynon covering the repair cost and the quick turnaround for the repair.  Thanks!

jasperg1

I love flying!
Have the same problem. About 6 months ago started to get the color lines but the system would boot up after a few minutes then it just kept taking longer and longer to boot. Now I have to turn the power off and on quickly and hope it comes up. I have to send it in, its about 3 1/2 years old. It seems to be about the same age as yours. We'll see what happens.

tomkk

RV-12 ELSA
Have the same problem. About 6 months ago started to get the color lines but the system would boot up after a few minutes then it just kept taking longer and longer to boot. Now I have to turn the power off and on quickly and hope it comes up. I have to send it in, its about 3 1/2 years old. It seems to be about the same age as yours. We'll see what happens.

I had that problem some time ago. Don't know if this applies to you or not but mine was related to temperature.  Worked fine above about 50 deg F IIRC. Below that the colder it was the longer it took for the colored lines to go away and proceed to a normal boot. I had to send mine back for another reason and it hasn't occurred since.

jasperg1

I love flying!
Mine seems to do it at all temps. It has not gone down once booted into the Dynon screen, nor in flight. I just don't feel real confident not knowing if it will boot or not. I'm taking it out in the next couple of days and sending it in.

jasperg1

I love flying!
UPDATE. Sent the screen back to Dynon. They charge me the $450.00 + for the repairs. I called and ask what they replaced but it was beyond me with the numbers???? I installed it and it is working now. My suggestion to anyone having the vertical lines and your under warranty is to send it in as soon as it starts. It won't get better........

Savannah_flyer

I love flying!
Had the same problem with my SV1000 touch. First I had the vertical lines and after the rebooting. Now the screen cannot boot at all. I just see a bright white screen and it keeps rebooting and failing. I guess it's a common problem for older screens. Most probably have to send it to Dynon and it will be the second time I have to send it back (sys event 5 was the first).