Compass Calibration Firmware

d10auser

I love flying!
I was intrigued by this part of the new sky view software roll out documentation:
Optional In-Air Magnetic Calibration

Pilots can now perform an optional in-flight magnetic heading calibration routine in addition to the existing ground calibration. Pilots that opt to perform this calibration are likely to see improved magnetic heading performance during flight maneuvers. It can also improve heading performance in aircraft where the ADAHRS is subject to localized magnetic interference.

I suspect I know the answer to this already but as someone who uses a classic efis, and has never had much success getting the compass calibration to where I am happy with it, would it be a simple thing for Dynon to port this across and update the classic firmware with the in air calibration? 

Also curious what it does better than the calibration routine on the ground..

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Never say never but improbable. One of the things that the D10/D100 series has going for it is that its easier to get the EDC-D10A in a more isolated location magnetically.

The magnetometer in both the EDC and the ADAHRS has a full 3d calibration applied to it here. The on-ground 4 point calibration can compensate for local interference to some degree, but with the ADAHRS having some competing location requirements like CG requirements and pneumatic routing practicalities, it more often ends up in a place with more distortion than the ground calibration can compensate for. The maneuvers you do in the in-air version let the compass do a better 3d compensation. This is a simplified explanation, of course.

d10auser

I love flying!
Thanks for the information, sounds like a much more sophisticated calibration procedure.

I appreciate it not likely that it will ever make it to the legacy products. My interest was because despite having the remote compass out in the wingtip and many attempts at calibration ,while it is pretty close at most headings there is too much error to give me reliable winds aloft, and the headings are off a bit at certain directions.
It's pretty much something I've just decide to live with now, although in the past I did try and improve it with no luck.

almarton

Folks I've got a EFIS-D100 it was showing not the same heading as the gps when in course so I tried to re adjust Inclination (MAGINC) and Intensity (MAGINT) an re calibrating now it is showing almos the opposit heading from the real one. Error of almost 180 degrees! I tried to do this adusts many times on ground with no success. Anyone knows how fix that or to reset it ? Many thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
GPS Ground Track isn't the same as Magnetic Heading, so some variance is to be expected.

It's possible you grabbed the wrong set of data from the NOAA web page - it can be a bit tricky.

Call or email our Tech Support department - 425-402-0433 / support AT dynonavionics DOT com. Please mention the ZIP code (if in the US) or the Lat/Long (if outside the US) for the airport when you contact them. They can assist you in getting the right numbers for MAGINC and MAGINT. Then you can do another calibration.

Folks I've got a EFIS-D100 it was showing not the same heading as the gps when in course so I tried to re adjust Inclination (MAGINC) and Intensity (MAGINT) an re calibrating now it is showing almos the opposit heading from the real one. Error of almost 180 degrees!  I tried to do this adusts many times on ground with no success. Anyone knows how fix that or to reset it ? Many thanks.