Compatibility with TruTrak ADI

snowyriver

I've ordered my Skyview and have yet another question. Can I split the output from the GPS receiver that comes with my Skyview and feed my TruTrak ADI? The TruTrak people say that any NMEA GPS signal will work.

Thanks, Craig

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Electrically, you can split it no problem.

The only issue might be data rate. Since our receiver is a 5Hz, WAAS unit, it outputs data quickly, at 38400 baud. You might want to check with TT that they can read that data rate. It is standard NMEA data.

jefvervoort

Re: Compatibility with TruTrak

I have a similar problem with my double SV system ( two SV-GPS-250) and Trutrak Digiflight II.
Trutrak says that it can accept a maximum band rate of 9600 baud.
Is there a solution for this that Dynon could offer?
Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
No, the 38,400 baud rate is required to support 5Hz data. To keep up with that amount of data, we need higher baud rates. We don't output that rate just to be non-standard. The 9600 data rate is why most GPS units that advertise 5Hz (like a 496 or 696) actually only send data out at 0.5Hz

Also, this GPS is just a position receiver. The Trutrak can't do anything but fly heading with it, since there is no database in the GPS. The database is in the SkyView.

If you really want to use that combo, TruTrak is the one that needs to change their product to deal with the higher data rate. Of course, TruTrak can't update software without you sending the unit back to the factory.

We suggest you save some money and convert to the SkyView autopilot ;)

PhantomPholly

If you are already invested in the TruTrak ADI, there are also some very inexpensive GPS receivers on the market for around $50-60. Google is your friend - search <"GPS Receiver" serial>