Connecting my GPS to the D100

funflying

I am nearing completion of installation of my D100, and I am not seeing the connection points to include data from my GPS (Garmin 196). I have seen some other comments where people have had issues with their EFIS seeing their Lowrance GPS, but nothing about the Garmin or who to wire this connection. Please refer me to the location in the installation information or provide the wire color and connection information. I have the pre-wired harness from Stien (very nice :)).
I just got the unit back from screen upgrade and asked for the lastest firmware to be installed. The paper work I got back did not show that the firmware was the most current, but I was told that if the firmware upgrade was requested with the return for the screen that it too would be done.

Thanks in advance for your help. Pat Claar

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The Garmin 196 will work fine.

To hook it up, the instructions are on page 3-5 of the latest D100 install manual, which you can find here:
http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/Install_Guides/100478_-_Rev_B_-_EFIS-D100_Installation_Guide_-_text-_web.pdf

You will need to install a pin into the Stien harness- it does not come pre-wired for this function since we just added it.

To check for the firmware version, just go to More -> Setup -> More -> VRSION

This should be version 1.08.00 if it's the latest, which it should be.

funflying

Sorry, still a little confused.  I went to the page on the link that explained the wiring needed if you only have a D100, which is my set up.  It said I needed to "hook the GPS transmit line into pin 22. This is the same Serial Rx line that is used for firmware updates. You will need a way to disconnect this when you hook up a PC."  I do not have both a GPS and SL30, just the GPS.  

So my prewired harness has a hook-up for connecting to a PC to update firmware and enter information for check list, etc.  SO, is this pin 22 vacant or occupied by the computer wires already built in the perwired harness?  It appears I will need to make a disconnect that I would use when hooked to a PC?

Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sorry to confuse you- I was thinking of something totally different (the wiring on the EMS) when I mentioned the wire not being included.

You do wire the HSI to the PC serial port on the D100, and this is included in the Stein harness. You will need to disconnect this when you do updates from your PC.

funflying

Thanks for the follow up. I think I have it now, and should have the entire panel redone by the first of the year. I will let you know if things are acting up after install and set-up, but from everything I have read on this site there are very few squawks.

flybuddy

This is the only thing that I am fuzzy on (GPS hookup). Just reading the install manual in preparation for install of a D100 later this week. I have the stein harness and there is a db9 connector already on it for communication to a PC. There are 3 wires on this connector (yellow, black, orange)--the manual lists them as all white. Which wire do I connect my GPS output to?? (pin 22 is simply listed as white bundled). Without disassembling the main connector how can I tell which one is pin 22. Also, I've got to do the July firmware update right after install, it's always going to be a pain to have to remove the gps output wire. Can the firmware update be done simply with the GPS off??

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Here's the easiest way to do this: Get a 9 pin male connector. Hook your GPS wire into pin 3 on this connector. Plug this connector into the 9-pin that is already wired in to your harness. This will connect your GPS to pin 22 on the EFIS.

Fly with this plugged in. When you need to do an update, unplug this and plug in the PC.

It's not recommended to do the update with the GPS connected and off. There's a small chance this could damage something.