D100 and D120 super bright in balance

Grahamb53

I love flying!
I have the D100/120 (and AP74) installed in a SportCruiser. Both units have the bright screen option but for some reason the D120 unit is very much dimmer than the D100.
The units boot up at about the same brightness but as the brightness on the D100 changes with Auto Dim or is changed manually the D120 screen frequently becomes too dark to see in flight.

Have performed alignment, DSAB and power cycle as suggested elsewhere in the forum but the problem remains.

Would greatly appreciate advice on how we can diagnose/fix this problem. Happy to supply serial numbers etc. if required and also have system backups again if required for investigation.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
First, you can double check that the D120 is in fact a super-bright model, if you can see around to the back of the instrument. The part number has either a -000 or -001. If it's the former, it's the regular screen. If it's -001, it's the superbright.

Beyond that, there's an option under DSAB setup that configures how the brightness syncing happens. You tell it whether you have the bright screen option manually. If you change it, do a DSAB reconfiguration afterwards.

Grahamb53

I love flying!
Thanks for the reply, checking the part number will not be a trivial exercise so I was wondering if you guys would be able to cross reference the p/n from the serial number?

Our D120 is serial number 2759

Please let me know if you can't and I will make arrangements to drop the panel out and get the data.

I have set the option in the DSAB but it is the inconsistent alignment of brightness between the two that is most concerning.

From Bright to dim (9 steps I think) Bright level 9.they are about the same, 8. 100 slightly dimmer - 120 almost too dark to see, 7. 100 slightly dimmer again - 120 brighter than level 8 .. this pattern is repeated right through to both screens being too dark to see.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Actually, if what you're saying is that the D120 alternates between dimming and REALLY dim, then, that's a hardware issue, unfortunately, and, we'll need to see your unit to repair it. Give our support team a call at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com.

Grahamb53

I love flying!
Unfortunately after checking the part number and confirming that it is really a Superbright unit I came to the same conclusion.

Can you tell me how the superbright function is achieved, is it by using more than one light source? The way the sequence between the D100 and the D120 goes it looks like two sources of which one is failing at some brightness levels. So rather than getting a smooth series of steps we see a bright, dim, bright cycle superimposed on a sequentially decreasing illumination from the 'good' light source.

My other request for info arrises from being based in the UK, can you advise who your hardware agent(s) are over this side of the pond. Hopefully we will not have to return the unit to the US for repair. :eek:

Really appreciate the rapid replies to my questions by the way.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Without getting into very technical details, know that both the regular and superbright versions of the D100 series display both use 2 backlight bulbs and both have this failure mode (though they're rare). Ultimately, the unit will need to come back to the states, unfortunately. Mendelssohn Pilot Supplies (http://www.gps.co.uk/) is our biggest agent in the UK, and they can help facilitate the repair as well.