D100 Autopilot capability

Delta_Zulu

We currently have a D100 installed in our RV6 and would like to install a 2 axis autopilot (pitch and heading) as our next mod.

What is your anticipated date for releasing an upgrade for autopilot output signal or add-on for the D100?

Etienne

I'm not sure how good you are at electronics, but with a small PIC (at 40MHz), it shouldn't be too hard to decode the serial output, and generate your own NMEA autopilot data...

1st prize is obviously to get the efis to do that for you ::)

Thomas_Schaad

If you decode the signal and create a device, that could interface the Trio EZ pilot, I will be your first customer for. Actually the EZ pilot as also the EZ Altitude Hold is a system I only can recommend. I works just great, much better than anything certified I've ever flown on in this class.

Cheers
Thomas ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't have any dates, products, or functionality to talk about, but we are thinking hard about how to best tackle this area.

Delta_Zulu

All:
Your responses are much appreciated. Although not particularly experienced in Avionics at the design level, I am an AME (same as A&P) with avionics experience and am not afraid to do what it takes to get such things working, if pressed to.

Dynon:
Although we have looked at the offerings from True Trak and Trio we were looking for something more from Dynon.

It would be great if you could program an autopilot function into the D100 with a PCS output that could be utilized by other autopilot manufacturer drive components. It would be best if you could also provide those components also!

Can you give me a little more on just how hard are you (Dynon) are looking at this? We are trying to figure out just how long should we hang on before we commit. It seems to me that there is market potential out there!

TRCsmith

Kind of strange that we talk about redundancy in our plans, in case one item fails we can press on with the back up, and here we are talking about how we want Dynon to keep adding everything we can think of to their system. Heck, you take the chance that if the D100 fails you loose everything. So if your going to add backups why not just buy the systems that are out there and proven.

You will still have to buy and install servos for pitch and roll. I have a Trio EZ autopilot and a Altrak Altitude hold in my Long-Ez , with a D-100, I use anywheremap for navigation and also I pull data off the anywheremap to drive the autopilot, or without data from anywhere map it’s a great wing leveler and more. I loose one item not a problem.

RudiGreyling

Hi TRCsmith,

I appreciate your redundancy comments....not that an Autopilot is on my critical Redundancy list.

My thinking is that the Dynon should already have all the flight attitude sensing information available to it...so it should only be an auto pilot Programming and servo Driving problem. This means in effect you only need to buy a Servo, not another flight attitude sensing unit. Saving Costs!

What a nice Upgrade that would be to your Dynon, just buy the servo and you have an Autopilot.
Powerfull marketing and selling stuff.

Wishfull thinking? I hope not.

Kind Regards
Rudi