D100 off axis mounting

kurtfly

I love flying!
Dynon,

I have a D100 set up as my standby flight display as it is totally independent of the skyview system. My D100 is installed in my Glasair on the Future Vision instrument panel. This panel has the inserts canted to favor the pilots viewing angle (about 10 degrees). See attached photo. Because the D100 has the rate gyro's and accelerometers internal and they are aligned to the chassis I see a pitch change when I roll the wings with no pitch change. I believe this is due to the roll axis is canted to the right of the aircraft true roll axis. I see a pitch up when rolling left, and a pitch down when rolling right. These pitch indications are relatively minor, about 3 degrees, and will self correct in a few seconds once stabilized in turn.
My question is there any way to apply a correction to the internal sensors and correct for the off-axis motion sensors?

Attachments

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You're basically correct about the reason: mounting the unit off-axis in yaw creates some undesired cross-coupling in your axes when you rotate. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to correct for this in software.