D10A discontinued?

dominikos

Hmm, just noticed on experimental thread that D10A is discontinued and shows as such on aircraft spruce. What does it mean for certified installations and STC? is there a better replacement coming? That would be nice.

PYoder

The Dynon web site also says discontinued. Since the D10a is a required part of the certified Skyview STC, there must be a replacement coming.

Corefile

About time!! @Dynon what say you - are you about to drop the D10a replacement? Or is the STC going to be opened up for other backup EFIS ?

Corefile

Hmm, just noticed on experimental thread that D10A is discontinued and shows as such on aircraft spruce. What does it mean for certified installations and STC? is there a better replacement coming? That would be nice.
Where does it say discontinued on aircraft spruce - I just see that it says it’s out of stock - did not see it say anything about being discontinued.

dominikos

It showed discontinued yesterday (10/11), it shows out of stock today. It still shows discontinued on Dynon’s site.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So although they're obviously the same products underneath, there's a certified and non-certified version of every (cert eligible) product we sell. In order to support the fleet overall, we did discontinue the experimental version of the EFIS-D10A (essentially, the entire experimental D10/D100 series has wound down over the past couple of years). The certified version remains available. As for future stuff - as a general rule, we don't comment on future possible products until we have something that is ready to announce.

Corefile

So although they're obviously the same products underneath, there's a certified and non-certified version of every (cert eligible) product we sell. In order to support the fleet overall, we did discontinue the experimental version of the EFIS-D10A (essentially, the entire experimental D10/D100 series has wound down over the past couple of years). The certified version remains available. As for future stuff - as a general rule, we don't comment on future possible products until we have something that is ready to announce.
Well whatever the plan is, hopefully it includes opening up the STC to other vendors backup, but at a minimum if you are going to make a replacement - please just make it a drop in replacement for the D10A

Spunk

Would really love to know if there is a new certified model coming soon! Just about to order a whole Dynon panel upgrade!

DBRV10

The certified version remains available. As for future stuff - as a general rule, we don't comment on future possible products until we have something that is ready to announce.

And that there says everything you need to know. Plus they are not getting out of that product space ;-) I wish I knew more......I know enough to know there is more. I am impatient too.

Merlinspop

Our install (on an Archer) is almost finished, and while at first I thought a new replacement backup unit would be cool, I've decided that the D10A is rock solid, with years and years of experience. It...just...works. Which, I suppose, is what you want a backup instrument to do. Ours will be located to the upper right of the HDX so both seats can see it clearly. Maybe we can make use of the timer functions or something else when it's not being used to keep the shiny side up.

Steveden

Something else you should notice about the D10 is that it is attached to the panel by screws inserted in the back of the unit. Which means you need to take off your main panel to get to those screws to remove it, Go Figure!! I would recommend making a single panel just for the D10, use the D10 mounting screws to permanently mount it to that small panel which then attaches to the main panel from the front like any other instrument.

GKC Aviation

Something else you should notice about the D10 is that it is attached to the panel by screws inserted in the back of the unit. Which means you need to take off your main panel to get to those screws to remove it, Go Figure!! I would recommend making a single panel just for the D10, use the D10 mounting screws to permanently mount it to that small panel which then attaches to the main panel from the front like any other instrument.
You install it in the $20 flush mount bracket, then you can remove it from the front no worries.

Steveden

I'm guessing you didn't look close at the mounting screws on the mount, if you are talking about the flush mount below. You're still required to get to the back of the D10 to remove it from the panel, The flush mount only makes the face of the D10 flush with the panel you still can't remove it from the the front .

Attachments

• D10 flush.jpg
    D10 flush.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 114

GKC Aviation

You assemble the D10A onto the flush mount first.
You see the outer groups of 3 holes? they are to install nut plates / anchor nuts into, and you attach the flush mount to the panel with screws from the front of the panel. Yes, you have to physically hold the unit up to the back of the panel while you screw / unscrew, and remove it out the rear like any other rear mounted instrument, but you never have to access the screws on the rear of the D10A.
I've done a few certified installs. Here's a picture showing the screws on the front of the panel.

Attachments

• IP2.jpg
    IP2.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 195

Steveden

I know how it's assembled and you made my point! That flush mount doesn't make the D10 a front removal instrument which was all I was suggesting. $5 of scrap aluminum/hardware and you never need to get behind the panel or remove any unnecessary screws but the four on the small panel holding the D10 to the main panel. We had the battery go dead on us a couple of times and it would have been so much easier to pull that D10 straight out.

GKC Aviation

Ah OK, I misunderstood that you wanted a front removal.
I agree it's a strange way to mount instruments.
A clamp mount that can be loosened from the front would be a good design idea, like the old Sperry HSI's in King-Airs