D10A intermittent readings on HSI from Garmin 430

Henrik

We have set up a D10a as an HSI from a Garmin 430, through the HS34.
It responds a expected from the GPS signal, but when set as the HSI from the VOR signal the CDI bar jumps from side to side without any variation in A/C heading.
Do you have any suggestions as to where the fault may lie?
Henrik

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: D10A intermittent readings on HSI from Garmin

Does it do this only while turning the course knob, or all the time?

Henrik

It seems to do so at any time, not associated with any inputs.It will be correctly oriented for a few secnds and then it jumps across to the opposite side or off centre for a few seconds and then back to where it should be.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Is the EFIS-D10A the only Dynon screen in the system?

Henrik

No we have D100 and D10 EMS.

Henrik

The threads under the heading....

"Problems with VOR dispay on HSI page using HS34 (Read 538 times)"

have been brought to my attention. I will look at the suggestions raised here, but wonder if you have come to any conclusions since these posts?
Henrik

Henrik

OK so really seem to be going round in circles now......
In order to allow our Garmin 430 to drive the TruTrak auto pilot we set the Garmin ARINC Config GAMA 429 to Low speed. (apparently OK for Dynon)
In order to maintain reception on the Dynon HSI I set both in put & outputs to Low. In this config we had gps info shown on the HSI but no VOR info.
So tried the following:
Input High & output Low: Got VOR but not GPS
Input low & output High: No VOR but got GPS
Input High & output High: Got VOR not GPS.
When we did get VOR info on the HSI it still had the previously described irregularities......
ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT I AM MISSING?
Henrik

Henrik

So what I have now tried on the Garmin set up is

MAIN ARINC 429 CONFIG
SPEED DATA
Low EFIS / Airdata
Low Off
Low GAMA 429
Common

and on the
VOR / LOC /GS ARINC 429 CONFIG

RX TX
SPEED Low Low
SDI Common
DME MODE Direct freq 2

This seems to have both GPS and VOR talking to the HSI, but still have the problem of the jumping course line and also the OBS selection suddenly jumps of its own accord.......
CAN ANYONE COMMENT?
I have another issue which I don't think is related, but if anyone has any thoughts perhaps you could advise:
I am able to get the Garmin 430 to drive the TruTrak auto pilot when following the gps , but how do I get the Tru Trak to follow the VOR?

Any advice to put me out of my misery appreciated!!!

Henrik

meljordan

I believe the TruTrak will not track to a VOR unless you have their most expensive unit, the Sorcerer which is about $7K, but that is probably a question you should direct to TruTrak.

Regards,
Mel Jordan

Henrik

Thanks, Mel.
I have sent TruTrak a line as well.....

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Henrik,
I think you don't have the VOR on the 430 set to low speed. The first setup page on the 430 is for the GPS output, but there's a second page, way over in the setup menu, for the VOR/ILS output. You need to set this to low as well if you have set the main output to low in order to work with the TruTrak.

We've had other customers set up systems for low speed and it works fine, so I bet it's just a simple config issue.

As Mel says, only the super expensive TruTrak units will fly a VOR. Maybe it's time to upgrade to the Dynon AP ;)

Henrik

Are you refering to this window?
We have adjusted this as described on an earlier post, and the A/P now recieves both GPS and VOR info, as does the HSI read out but the CDI bar is very jittery and jumps from one side to the other, and the OBS heading sudenly breaks from that which is set to some other unsulected heading.

Attachments

• 28092008173.jpg
    28092008173.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 126

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Henrik,
Are you saying you have a configuration that works, but the only issue is that the CDI is somewhat jittery when using a VOR source?

If this is true, then the jittery CDI is a known issue that will be fixed in the next software release. This problem is only known when you are changing OBS settings though, not when the OBS has been stable for a while.

Is the bearing pointer stable? If it is, the next software update will probably fix all your problems.

Do you have another CDI head hooked to the 430?

Henrik

The new configuration now works in terms of reception of both GPS & VOR signal, but The CDI is jittery when recieving a VOR signal and then the needle will jump from the selected radial. I have to say that at no time have we ever been able to say that the OBS has stabilised.....No other CDI avfailable. Good to hear that you are working on a solution...What is the timing of the next software update?
Thanks,
Henrik

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Again, the solution in our upcoming firmware only involves CDI indications which are unstable while the CDI is being turned with the course knob. Is this what you're seeing? Any chance you can take a short video and post a link to it? Finally, can you check the firmware versions on both your HS34 and EFIS?

Henrik

You guys are really testing my technological abilities here.....but finally managed something:
I took the video now posted on you tube on a mobile on a light turbulence flight so apologies for the quality...but it does show what is happening:
Not so easy to spot unless you are looking for it is that the radial selection will also jump to another random selection.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOh5HTwkMo

The firmware versions are 4.0.4 for the D100 &10A and 4.0.1 for the HS34....although I couldn't find where to get the firmware info for the HS34 from the screen...this is from my notes when last done on the laptop.(9 May 08)
Look forward to some comments on the instruments ( but not the quality of the video)
Henrik

agrantz

This is exactly what I observed with my D10A/HS34/GNS430W. The interesting part of the video occurs about 2/3 of the way through it. The course deviation error is only 1 or two degrees, the OBS is not being turned, and yet the CDI is jumping left to right the same amount.

Henrik

Hi Dynon,
Any further feedback?
Henrik

Brantel

They have responded a couple times to this one in the past and said that the new firmware will fix this and is to be released with the AP.

But I see that one of you is an AP beta tester so this is confusing. If the beta tester is seeing the same issue, is it truly fixed????

Henrik

There has been no response since Dynon requested a visual indication of the problem and confirmed that the firmware was only going to address small scale "jitters." We have indicated that the problem is a significant jump in the relationship of track and radial position as well as the selected radial suddenly changing ..........