D180 backup power

jeynon2

Will pin #15 (external backup power) on the D180's EFIS DB25 connector maintain a charge on an external battery, or should I handle that elsewhere in the electrical system.

Thanks.

John.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
No. That is in fact a second power INPUT for folks with redundant electrical systems. It does not provide power to the world.

Ratman

May I suggest that John may have actually been asking, "will pin 15 in the DB25 connector on the D-180, maintain a charge on the optional internal backup battery FROM an external battery"?

He may have actually been asking if the D180 would charge an external battery but I read it a bit differently.

Or in other words,
Pin 1, Primary Power - will keep the D180's optional internal backup battery charged provided the master is turned on for at least an hour a month.

Pin 2, Keep alive power - keeps the clock running and the D180's optional internal backup battery charged provided it's connected to a source that is always powered. (Directly connected to the battery or an always hot bus.)

Pin 15, External backup power - powers the D-180 from a redundant source if the primary power source (pin 1) fails.

Pins 1 and 2 will charge the optional internal backup battery, will pin 15 charge the D180's optional internal backup battery as well?

It's a good question, if the master fails and you go to a secondary, redundant bus that pin 15 is connected to, does pin 15 then provide a charge to the D180's optional internal backup battery as well?

I know this is really getting crazy but if pin 15 does in fact charge the internal battery, it's an additional layer of redundancy. A question worth asking.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, the external backup power will do everything the main power input will do, including charge the internal battery.

This is why, by the way, you generally don't want to just hang a second unswitched "backup" battery out on that pin. We will treat it like a second stable power supply and will switch down to it when master goes away, draining such a battery.

Ratman

Very nice, certainly simplifies wiring. Pin 1 to the master, pin 15 to the essential bus.

Thanks Dynon.