D180 battery and clock failure

mhubel

I have a D180 with the internal backup battery. The keep alive line is also connected to un-switched power. Today, on engine start, the unit went blank and re-booted as it did before I installed the backup battery. In addition, the time of day clock now resets to 00:00 every time the power is off. Is The Voltage display shows 12.5-14.5V, 0v 16.2V, the center value has always been zero.
This unit has version 5.0 of the firmware installed.
Is there anything I could have done to cause this or has the D180 failed?

16FW

Dynon currently recomends the Keep Alive line be disconnected.

From the current release notes:

5/26/09
Note: It is no longer recommended that Keep Alive be connected EFIS and EMS products.

mhubel

Disconnecting the keep alive line is easy but I don't think that explains why the D180 will not operate off its internal battery either after main power is removed or from a front panel button with no external power.
I will be at the hanger tomorrow and will try it without the keep alive.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also, updating to 5.1.1 may help, as we've improved some power handling things since 5.0.

BULY

After updating my D-180, I was away for couple of weeks, and when I checked my plane, my main batteries were down to 5V. Most likely finished?
I have an internal battery and Stay Alive wire. Wander if the Dynon drained my 2 main batteries? It used to do it when I first installed it.
Should I disconnect the SA wire?

GigG

Dynon currently recomends the Keep Alive line be disconnected.

From the current release notes:

5/26/09
Note: It is no longer recommended that Keep Alive be connected EFIS and EMS products.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
In addition to that, update to 5.1.1 for best internal battery charging voltage.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If it wasn't draining it before, an update to 5.1.1 shouldn't change things. In any case, we do now recommend disconnecting the KA wire in all installations to eliminate the possibility of the EFIS pulling power from the battery when master is off.