Displaying GNS430 Track and Waypoints

cfi1513840

I have a Skyview system which includes the SV-ARINC-429. I also have a Garmin GNS430W. I would like to be able to display the GNS430 flight plan track and waypoints on the Skyview Map display.

Serial port 1 TX of the GNS430W is connected to pin 3 of the ARINC D25 Connector as shown in the installation drawing. I also have Serial Port 2 of the Garmin routed to Serial Port 2 of the Skyview, but I can't configure both serial outputs from the GNS430 for the Aviation Data mode; so it's really not being used. I was concerned that I was losing some functionality by not having serial data from the GNS430 routed to Skyview.

Could you please enlighten me as to the functionality provided by the ARINC 429 versus Serial port inputs to the Skyview, particularly with regard to obtaining flight plan track and waypoints on the Skyview Map display.

Brantel

Just use the same wire from serial port 1 TX of the 430w to connect to all your devices needing the Aviation format from the GPS. There is no problem doing this. There is no need to have both ports configured for Aviation since you can split it up...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SkyView does not currently display the flight plan from a 430 (or any external GPS device).

This is a feature we have planned for the future. When we do implement it, the data will come over the ARINC bus from the 430.

cfi1513840

Good news on future implementation of Garmin/GPS flight plan via ARINC 429. It shouldn't require any changes to wiring, etc.

Thanks for the tip on paralleling serial output to multiple devices.

I've been holding out for WX on the Skyview, but depending on when it's available, I might resort to XM WX on a 496, in which case I can use the serial port connection method you suggested.

jbeaver

Will this link be bi-directional (i.e. can I edit the flight plan on the SkyView and have it update in the Garmin)?

Also, does the SkyView flight planner support adding victor airways to the flight plan (like the Garmin GTN series) or only waypoints (like the Garmin GNS series).  I'm planning on a GTN-650 and am curious how well it will integrate with the SkyView in this regard.

thanks,

jason
http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't know if we will be able to push data to the Garmins. Those guys aren't real forthcoming with interface data, so it matters if we can figure it out.

Our upcoming flight planing software does not currently support airways, but this is something we are considering for a future release.

That doesn't actually have anything to do with cross-filling from the Garmin though, since they will just send us a series of points to go to, so we don't know or care that they are part of an airway.

One note, anything we mention about a GTN at this point is speculation. We haven't interfaced with one yet.

skysailor

Remember that the term "airways" is generic these days. I have seen it applied to Q routes as well. As such, the ability to use them for route input is a very strong plus for those of us who will have a long distance IFR capability in addition to the "just for fun" local flying we all enjoy.

jbeaver

Any update on whether you can send and receive flight plan data to/from the GTN series?

thanks,

jason
http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't cross-fill with any GPS units today, and that's not software we have started writing so we can't promise what we will and will not be able to interface with.

All data seems to show that the 430 and the GTN's are 100% compatible on the interface side, so it does look like if we can do it on the 430 we will be able to do it on the GTN as well.