Dual D10A installation

dgaldrich

So I'm installing a D10A (with the magnetometer and OAT) in my PA-28 because the vacuum powered attitude indicator died. Is anybody else surprised? In any event, the aircraft is VFR only so technically (Part 91.205), I don't need any magnetic heading besides the whiskey compass so I'm removing the vacuum powered DG and vacuum system. In order to become ADSB out compliant and for cross country navigation, I'm installing a Garmin 400W and would like to install a second D10A as a full time HSI displaying the Garmin data. Besides connecting the 2 D10A's together via the DSAB and connection the output of the 400W, are there any other technical issues I'll run into?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The EFIS-D10A is only approved as an attitude indicator in type-certificated aircraft when installed as standalone under EAA's STC. So unfortunately, a second one can not be used as an HSI, as connectivity with other devices isn't approved in that application.

dgaldrich

I think I neglected to say that I'm also going to install the EDC D-10 magnetometer so I get heading even though I understand it's not usable as a DG replacement. Would it be possible to connect both D-10A's to the EDC D10 and not to each other via the DSAB bus. The second D-10A would be used as a second independent attitude indicator for the other seat. Thanks.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It works technically, but the general rule of thumb is that if something isn't in the installation manual, you really aren't supposed to do it from a regulatory perspective. And unfortunately, interdevice connectivity isn't covered by the EAA STC.

dgaldrich

A year ago at Sun n Fun, I asked the Dynon rep if there were plans to do a certified dual D10A installation (attitude and HSI) like the Garmin G5 and he said watch for an upcoming announcement. Are there plans for an STC for a dual D10A installation to compete with the G5 in the works? It certainly looks technically easy since it's already documented for EAB. For those of us who can't (the PA-28 instrument panel is a structural piece, as an example), or won't for cost reasons, slice our panels up for a big flat panel display, the 3 1/8 inch holes are what we have to live with. Thanks.