Dynon alt encoder to 430W and old transponder

petehowell

Hello,

UPS guy dropped a 430W at my door, so I guess I need to start the IFR upgrade.  I have an old TDR-950 TPX that requires grey code - it works great with the encoder converter installed.   When I wire up the 430W can tap into the serial, or do I need to run all the goofy greycode wires to the 430W.

Thanks,

Pete

Brantel

Since the Dynon has to be set to a different output protocol than Icarus when using the converter, I do not think you can connect that output to the 430w.

I am pretty sure that the 430W can get both baro corrected and pressure altitudes from the 429 connections from the HS34. I do know that the HS34 outputs both of these labels. (203) & (204) The 430W can get its altitude info from lots of sources. The more you connect, the more redundancy it has. There is a listing of which one it will pick first and what order it will fail back to.

If this is true, you will make these connections anyway so you should be in good shape that way.

I would double check with Dynon and/or someone like Stein.

Dynon am I all wet or ????

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're not experts on the 430's faildown modes, but the 430 can use our pressure altitude output.

You're right about the converter. With it, you need to use our serial format 1 for altitude. The Icarus format that the 430 understands natively is format 4.