Dynon and Avidyne IFD

kurtfly

I love flying!
Dynon,
When I was at Oshkosh, one of the Dynon employees mentioned you were planning some nice features that can be shared between SkyView and IFD? Any word on what/when it is planned?

I have a few suggestions:
Push flight plans between SkyView/IFD
Tune Com / Nav radio.
Share ADS-B products (weather / Traffic)

Avidyne currently has the ability to connect as a WiFi remote device on SkyView network. Only needs the options installed in skyview.

Corefile

If I was going to prioritize those are the exact 3 I would want as well. It’s actually a little disappointing that Dynon does not already support these - starting to really question going Dynon route

Northernliving

I love flying!
I'm thinking of adding a GPS navigator to my Skyview system. It seems like there is a general dissatisfaction with the interoperability between something like the Garmin GNC 355 and Skyview. Dynon seems to push Avidyne pretty hard. Is there better communication between the Avidyne systems and Skyview than Garmin and Skyview?

kellym

I love flying!
I'm thinking of adding a GPS navigator to my Skyview system. It seems like there is a general dissatisfaction with the interoperability between something like the Garmin GNC 355 and Skyview. Dynon seems to push Avidyne pretty hard. Is there better communication between the Avidyne systems and Skyview than Garmin and Skyview?
Garmin makes their products not play well with non-Garmin products. I have GTN650 with my Skyview, and it does the basics just fine, but flight plan must be entered to 650. Also doesn't push frequencies, even though the Garmin SL30 does. Fuel flow communication is minimal to the Garmin, no sharing of ADS-B In products. Just a little less integrated, but not really limiting in how I fly.

kurtfly

I love flying!
Right now. I dont see any better integration between Skyview to Avidyne vs. Skview to Garmin. Just basic Nav data via ARINC 429. The Avidyne WiFi can be configured as a remote device on the Skyview network, so it is conceivable data can be shared between the two. But until code is written to look there???
I currently use Foreflight and FlyQ connected to this multi-vender WiFi network to see what can be used from both avionics. FlyQ will not see the Avidyne at all. It does get the ADS-B info just as normal on Skyview network. But it will not get or send a flight plan to Avidyne, only Skyview. ForeFlight sees both SkyView and Avidyne but communications are somewhat sketchy. It also receives ADS-B great from Skyview. But, it will only receive a flight plan from Avidyne if you use the "more", "devices", "connected avionics" pages to get flightplan data. ForeFlight has no way to select which device to push a flightplan; so, no way to send a flightplan to Avidyne.
I have contacted both Seattle Avionics (FlyQ) and ForeFlight regarding this limitation. I did not get any confidence from either this is an important fix as both products work as published if connected directly to each avionic exclusively. It just isn't designed to operate on an avionics network with several data sources. But it is not practicable to change networks in flight.
I have also used the IFD100 app on this multi-avionics network. It works equally good direct or multi-device network.

Northernliving

I love flying!
Thanks for your input, guys. That's helpful. I've read all I can and seems like it comes down to personal preference (Garmin vs Avidyne). Both appear to be very good units.

dougnlina

I love flying!
To Be clear, you CAN NOT? push a flight plan FROM the IFD TO skyview? I am asking because I have a fellow aviator who has the Garmon GNS 400 and he says he can push his flight plans from the Garmin to skyview. I have recently installed an IFD box and still I am only about 80% sure I have it all configured correctly...

DBRV10

To Be clear, you CAN NOT? push a flight plan FROM the IFD TO skyview? I am asking because I have a fellow aviator who has the Garmon GNS 400 and he says he can push his flight plans from the Garmin to skyview. I have recently installed an IFD box and still I am only about 80% sure I have it all configured correctly...

You do not PUSH it from the Garmin/Avidyne/Other Nav, the Skyview accepts the flight plan via ARINC 429. Simple as that. So a GNS400/430/530 or GTN650/750 etc all work fine, as does the IFD 540/440.

Pushing back the other way is a Garmin or Avidyne problem. Not sure when or if any of that will happen, although it could.

For me I just enter everything into the GTN, it is my primary nav. However when the GTN does not have the database item I want, I simply flick to SV nav and away I go.

This is not a big deal, just learn how to use what you have.

wilkersk

I love flying!
I need to resurrect this thread.

A buddy is telling me the shop he went to for a quote on his panel upgrade says the IFD440 has better integration with Skyview HDX than the GNC355. So, why is that?

It seems to me that with either, what you get is nav info driving the HSI via the ARINC429. What else is there?

Last edited:

Carl_Froehlich

As been stated, it makes little difference between any of these TSO GPS IFR navigators playing well with the SkyView. The ARINC does the needed translation when flying using the flight plan, IFR approach or missed approach feed from the TSO Navigator, then displays it on the moving map, and HSI.

I put the GTN-650 in two dual screen SkyView planes and fly IFR most of the time. The new project will have dual SkyView displays, the GNC 355 and hopefully the Trig NAV/Comm. I’m hopeful the GNC 355 is a better box than the clunky GTN-650.

What would really be nice if Dynon would take this Trig NAV/Comm, put the Dynon label on it and modify the software to integrate with the SkyView network.

Carl

kurtfly

I love flying!
Once Avidyne version 10.3 is available it promises to allow the Skyview traffic and weather to transfer to the Avidyne screen via WiFi. This is the first time I am aware an IFR navigator that will accept weather or traffic from a WiFi source. The Avidyne 10.3 is currently in the FAA approval process. Expected any day now….There is no reason Skyview could not send or receive a flight plan from Avidyne except for the programming. It is already included in the WiFi stream. The Skyview could tune the comm radio or other functions that are currently available with the IFD100 app or Foreflight. It just takes a programmer.

Kurt

dougnlina

I love flying!
I have an IFD 440. For quite awhile it has been implied that Dynon and the IFD series would integrate better. At one point Dynon was said to be actively working with the Avidyne to integrate the systems. In reality it would reguire wiring, programing and utilizing a serial connection similiar to the way Dynon integrates with the SL-30. If this was ever a priority it has fallen by the wayside.

...,so
"It seems to me that with either, what you get is nav info driving the HSI via the ARINC429. What else is there?"
I dont think there is anything else, nor will there ever be....

The IFD is a great navigator but buy it for its own merits and not for any potential integration advantage.

Last edited:

Merlinspop

Prior to finding this thread, I reached out to Avidyne tech support about what it would take for the IFD to display ADSB wx and traffic data from the Dynon receiver. Their reply made no mention at all of 10.3 or wifi, but they did say this:

"As long as the Dynon system can spit out traffic and weather on the same RS232 protocol that the IFD listens to for this data, the IFD should display the information. We typically use the Capstone RS232 protocols for such data at either the 38,400 or 115,200 baud rate. Refer to the Dynon manual to see if this is a possibility, and refer to our IM starting on page 109 for the list of RS232 inputs available. Avoid sending in any RS232 data over port 3 because it is set up slightly differently and may cause issues with receiving data over the 38,400 baud rate on RS232 channel 3."

rjones560

Garmin makes their products not play well with non-Garmin products. I have GTN650 with my Skyview, and it does the basics just fine, but flight plan must be entered to 650. Also doesn't push frequencies, even though the Garmin SL30 does. Fuel flow communication is minimal to the Garmin, no sharing of ADS-B In products. Just a little less integrated, but not really limiting in how I fly.
I have a Garmin 650 in my RV10 along with 3 Dynon screens. The com works fine through the PS Engineering audio panel and the ARINC 429 data goes to my EFIS just fine. The Skyview system gives me everything else I need for IFR. I think for another $1,500, Garmin has a module to upload flight my plans from their chart system. Garmin tries their best not to play well with anyone else. They also plan to get more out of you for the updates than you paid for the original product.

tcoons

I have an RV-9A with HDX and all Dynon typical stuff. I also have VP-X and all works great. Backup is Stratus and Foreflight. I left room for an Avidyne 440, ARINC, power from VP-X, 2nd com antenna, and Archer nav antenna. I know many people have the 440 integrated in similar arrangements. The Avidyne manual is quite complicated due to all the flexibility of connections possible, most of which aren't used in situations like mine. Dynon responded to me with ARINC connections and com advice. What I want to know is the 440 pinouts used from someones wiring diagram. I did the plane and all the wiring myself. Help with the pinouts would save a lot of research time. SteinAir is my next go to for this question I guess.

kurtfly

I love flying!
Once Avidyne version 10.3 is available it promises to allow the Skyview traffic and weather to transfer to the Avidyne screen via WiFi. This is the first time I am aware an IFR navigator that will accept weather or traffic from a WiFi source. The Avidyne 10.3 is currently in the FAA approval process. Expected any day now….There is no reason Skyview could not send or receive a flight plan from Avidyne except for the programming. It is already included in the WiFi stream. The Skyview could tune the comm radio or other functions that are currently available with the IFD100 app or Foreflight. It just takes a programmer.

Kurt
I Loaded 10.3 to my IFD and it Does Not support the Skyview Weather/ Traffic format. At least I cannot get it to work. I could get a Stratus system to work but not Skyview.

jsalak

I love flying!
I also tried the Capstone over WiFi for ADS-B data from Skyview to the IFD540 with 10.3 and did not have any success. The ADS-B data from Sykview to Foreflight over WiFi works great, I presume that is not the Capstone format the IFD is looking for. All three devices are running on the SkyView WiFi network. You would think between the RS232, ARINC-429, and Capstone WiFi interfaces between the SV-D1000 and the IDF540 one of them could get the SV ADS-B data to the IFD540.

Still need to try loading a FF generated flight plan to the SV and IFD using the send to panel function. Hopefully the 10.3 WiFi network changes will allow the IFD540 to accept a FF flight plan when operating on the Skyview network.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Merlinspop

I also tried the Capstone over WiFi for ADS-B data from Skyview to the IFD540 with 10.3 and did not have any success. The ADS-B data from Sykview to Foreflight over WiFi works great, I presume that is not the Capstone format the IFD is looking for. All three devices are running on the SkyView WiFi network. You would think between the RS232, ARINC-429, and Capstone WiFi interfaces between the SV-D1000 and the IDF540 one of them could get the SV ADS-B data to the IFD540.

Still need to try loading a FF generated flight plan to the SV and IFD using the send to panel function. Hopefully the 10.3 WiFi network changes will allow the IFD540 to accept a FF flight plan when operating on the Skyview network.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Please report back if you find success in transferring a flight plan to the IFD through the SV WiFi network.