Dynon and Avidyne IFD

kurtfly

I love flying!
Dynon,
When I was at Oshkosh, one of the Dynon employees mentioned you were planning some nice features that can be shared between SkyView and IFD? Any word on what/when it is planned?

I have a few suggestions:
Push flight plans between SkyView/IFD
Tune Com / Nav radio.
Share ADS-B products (weather / Traffic)

Avidyne currently has the ability to connect as a WiFi remote device on SkyView network. Only needs the options installed in skyview.

Corefile

If I was going to prioritize those are the exact 3 I would want as well. It’s actually a little disappointing that Dynon does not already support these - starting to really question going Dynon route

Northernliving

I love flying!
I'm thinking of adding a GPS navigator to my Skyview system. It seems like there is a general dissatisfaction with the interoperability between something like the Garmin GNC 355 and Skyview. Dynon seems to push Avidyne pretty hard. Is there better communication between the Avidyne systems and Skyview than Garmin and Skyview?

kellym

I love flying!
I'm thinking of adding a GPS navigator to my Skyview system. It seems like there is a general dissatisfaction with the interoperability between something like the Garmin GNC 355 and Skyview. Dynon seems to push Avidyne pretty hard. Is there better communication between the Avidyne systems and Skyview than Garmin and Skyview?
Garmin makes their products not play well with non-Garmin products. I have GTN650 with my Skyview, and it does the basics just fine, but flight plan must be entered to 650. Also doesn't push frequencies, even though the Garmin SL30 does. Fuel flow communication is minimal to the Garmin, no sharing of ADS-B In products. Just a little less integrated, but not really limiting in how I fly.

kurtfly

I love flying!
Right now. I dont see any better integration between Skyview to Avidyne vs. Skview to Garmin. Just basic Nav data via ARINC 429. The Avidyne WiFi can be configured as a remote device on the Skyview network, so it is conceivable data can be shared between the two. But until code is written to look there???
I currently use Foreflight and FlyQ connected to this multi-vender WiFi network to see what can be used from both avionics. FlyQ will not see the Avidyne at all. It does get the ADS-B info just as normal on Skyview network. But it will not get or send a flight plan to Avidyne, only Skyview. ForeFlight sees both SkyView and Avidyne but communications are somewhat sketchy. It also receives ADS-B great from Skyview. But, it will only receive a flight plan from Avidyne if you use the "more", "devices", "connected avionics" pages to get flightplan data. ForeFlight has no way to select which device to push a flightplan; so, no way to send a flightplan to Avidyne.
I have contacted both Seattle Avionics (FlyQ) and ForeFlight regarding this limitation. I did not get any confidence from either this is an important fix as both products work as published if connected directly to each avionic exclusively. It just isn't designed to operate on an avionics network with several data sources. But it is not practicable to change networks in flight.
I have also used the IFD100 app on this multi-avionics network. It works equally good direct or multi-device network.

Northernliving

I love flying!
Thanks for your input, guys. That's helpful. I've read all I can and seems like it comes down to personal preference (Garmin vs Avidyne). Both appear to be very good units.

dougnlina

I love flying!
To Be clear, you CAN NOT? push a flight plan FROM the IFD TO skyview? I am asking because I have a fellow aviator who has the Garmon GNS 400 and he says he can push his flight plans from the Garmin to skyview. I have recently installed an IFD box and still I am only about 80% sure I have it all configured correctly...

DBRV10

To Be clear, you CAN NOT? push a flight plan FROM the IFD TO skyview? I am asking because I have a fellow aviator who has the Garmon GNS 400 and he says he can push his flight plans from the Garmin to skyview. I have recently installed an IFD box and still I am only about 80% sure I have it all configured correctly...
You do not PUSH it from the Garmin/Avidyne/Other Nav, the Skyview accepts the flight plan via ARINC 429. Simple as that. So a GNS400/430/530 or GTN650/750 etc all work fine, as does the IFD 540/440.

Pushing back the other way is a Garmin or Avidyne problem. Not sure when or if any of that will happen, although it could.

For me I just enter everything into the GTN, it is my primary nav. However when the GTN does not have the database item I want, I simply flick to SV nav and away I go.

This is not a big deal, just learn how to use what you have.