Dynon and GTN-650

MaydayMayday

I am just now getting to the point where I will be flying approaches using the GTN-650 so I wanted to reach out to see if I could get some tips/ tricks/ experience from those who have gone before...

I have a dual SV-1000, Dynon AP with control head, Dynon radio, and GTN-650 and I know how to get the GTN to display on the SV...my question is more about getting the HITS, VNAV, and altitude alerter to integrate.

So assuming a LNAV/VNAV approach is loaded and outside the initial approach fix I get cleared for the approach...

What will the HITS look like with various step down fixes and turns?

I presume once the GP is captured I then set the altitude alerter to MAP altitude?

I have a TOGA button and when pressed I have Dynon set to command bars to my selected IAS so I presume that it will stay on LNAV and then fly the missed approach course but what about any VNAV altitudes.

Anyway...as you can tell I am trying to figure out all of this stuff before I go burning $5.00 AVGAS so any advice/ tips/ tricks/ gotchas/ and youtube videos you can share would be most appreciated!!!

rfazio1951

I have basically the same setup, except I have a 430 instead of the 650. I am very familiar with the 650 also, as my friend has it in his 172.

HITS - I hate it and don't use it. I like the simple flight director wings and find that much easier to follow. The HITS just doesn't look right to me.

The minimums can be set anytime. It's separate from the other altitudes, set it as you are setting the approach, or briefing the approach. When you set it using the left knob, make sure you then set the knob on something different, if you touch it accidentally or going for something different you mess up the minimums, ask me how I know.

In my setup the go around button gives you a flight path but NOT VNAV. You have to set the altitude you want to fly to. Your mileage may vary but that's what I see. Does the 650 do different? I don't think so. So you set an altitude when coming up to the approach and then set VNAV, she is descending, you have your minimums set and then set in the altitude for go around. It may be the same as what you approached the initial approach with.