Dynon Announces First Twin-Engine Aircraft Approval for SkyView HDX - Including Autopilot - for Piper Seneca

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Dynon’s certified SkyView HDX system is now FAA-approved for installation into most Piper PA-34 “Seneca” aircraft, bringing affordable, safety-enhancing integrated avionics systems to a new category of aircraft. This is Dynon’s first approval for a twin-engine aircraft, and includes SkyView HDXs full range of capabilities, including twin-engine monitoring and two-axis autopilot.

piper-seneca-panel_web.jpg

The Seneca approval covers Dynon’s full suite of avionics, including its two-axis autopilot with coupled approach capability. Pilots benefit from an uncluttered, elegant panel layout that reduces workload, is fun to fly behind, and enhances safety. A Dynon certified installation is typically 50 to 80 pounds lighter than the instruments it replaces, and usually allows the removal of unreliable legacy equipment like the vacuum pump.

Michael Schofield, Dynon’s Director of Marketing, says “We’re thrilled to expand Dynon’s reach to twin-engine type certificated aircraft, starting with the Piper Seneca. With this approval, SkyView HDX is in a class by itself for affordable and capable twin-aircraft avionics upgrades. With SkyView HDX, Seneca owners can also add Dynon’s full-featured Autopilot for up to half the cost of other autopilots.”

The SkyView HDX core system provides complete primary flight instrumentation, including synthetic vision, and Navigation and Mapping with Flight Planning. New to the Seneca approval is a complete twin-engine monitoring solution, covering all CHTs, EGTs, fuel flow, fuel computer, and lean assist. Also approved is Dynon’s fully-integrated two-axis autopilot, which features IFR approach capability when SkyView is integrated with a compatible navigator. The approved installation also includes options for Mode S Transponder with 2020-compliant ADS-B Out, COM Radio, ADS-B Traffic and Weather display, and Electronic Flight Bag features. A complete set of standby flight instruments are provided by a Dynon EFIS-D10A.

Approved Model List

The SkyView HDX Approved Model List (AML) now covers all Piper Aircraft PA-34-200 Seneca, PA-34-200T Seneca II, PA-34-220T Seneca III, PA-34-220T Seneca IV, and PA-34-220T Seneca V models. Autopilot is available for Seneca II / III / IV / V models, except for serial numbers 34-7570001 through 34-8170092 when equipped with pneumatic de-ice boots.

In addition to the Seneca, SkyView HDX is currently approved for installation into nearly 600 piston single aircraft models, with autopilots available for many C172 and Bonanza model aircraft. Dynon expects further approvals for both single and twin-engine aircraft in the coming months. In-progress aircraft/autopilot approvals include additional Bonanza models, C182, Beechcraft Baron, and the Mooney M20. See http://www.dynoncertified.com/aml.php for the estimated timeline for future approvals.

Pricing and Availability

SkyView HDX for the Seneca starts at $14,189 for the core system that includes a 10” display that provides primary flight instrumentation, synthetic vision, mapping and flight planning, and a standby EFIS-D10A flight display. Twin engine monitoring with a dedicated display adds only $7,377, and includes all engine probes such as CHTs, EGTs, fuel flow, and more. The integrated autopilot is available for half the price of competing products, with configurations starting at $8580 for a fully-featured, two-axis system.

Dynon Certified products are available through a nationwide network of Dynon Authorized Installation Centers. Pilots can also opt to buy directly from Dynon and install it at their preferred avionics shop or by an A&P/IA.

For more information, visit www.dynoncertified.com.

Colin Pazdzior

This is good news, except for the deice limitation. I note that the deice limitation is not listed in the STC AML document at all: https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...ff3af8625861c004ee9af/$FILE/SA02594SE_AML.pdf

Can you confirm this is a real limitation, and if so what the reasons are, and timeline to have this lifted? I note that the pictures of the certification aircraft appear to show an aircraft with deice....

Wondering if this comes from a limitation on the use of autopilot in icing conditions, or physical servo install, with timer and ejector valve in the same general area as the servos would normally be installed.....

Another question is on electric trim - don't see any mention of this in documentation for the PA34 - is it supported for integration with AP, or not?

Thanks,
Colin

Last edited:

JP JR

Is this added trim integration applicable to Cessna Models, like the future 182?

Raymo

I love aviation!
ETA on that, and projected cost for the SV-AP-TRIMAMP module?
Auto-Trim is part of the AP button panel functionality, which is around $500-600 plus installation. You can see it below the 7" screen in the panel pic above. I have it in my RV-7A and it works great.

airguy

Auto-Trim is part of the AP button panel functionality, which is around $500-600 plus installation. You can see it below the 7" screen in the panel pic above. I have it in my RV-7A and it works great.
Yes - for the experimental world that is true, I have it in my 9A also - we're discussing certified in this case. It's not yet available for certified installs, since those typically use 3rd-party (non Dynon, and several different types) DC motors to drive the trim tabs, and that whole process of controlling those motors and the logic driving them must go through the FAA certification.

Gummint makes everything difficult.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Yes - for the experimental world that is true, I have it in my 9A also - we're discussing certified in this case. It's not yet available for certified installs, since those typically use 3rd-party (non Dynon, and several different types) DC motors to drive the trim tabs, and that whole process of controlling those motors and the logic driving them must go through the FAA certification.

Gummint makes everything difficult.
Correct. My point was that it is already a product, is visible in the panel pic Dynon posted (but not yet used for auto-trim) and cost is relatively small.

airguy

Correct. My point was that it is already a product, is visible in the panel pic Dynon posted (but not yet used for auto-trim) and cost is relatively small.
Sorry, your point sailed right over the top of my head and smacked the wall behind me. Yes, the autotrim functionality is already built into the AP button panel, it's just that the autotrim is not yet certified/enabled.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the auto-trim is indeed in the SV-AP-PANEL, but we currently don't have the ability to drive the larger DC motors that are usually employed in type certificated aircraft. That compatibility with trim motors is coming with the upcoming Bonanza expansion, due at the end of the year at the moment.

douglips

I have a PA32 and I am hoping that the autopilot for the Seneca is easily adaptable to that platform.

I want the exact panel you have in the photo. Amazing.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Can you confirm this is a real limitation, and if so what the reasons are, and timeline to have this lifted?
It is a real limitation. We don't have an active program to lift the restriction, but it doesn't mean that it won't happen. We'll continue to evaluate. Do you have an example of such an aircraft? A good part of the reason is that our R&D aircraft was not equipped (we think it was previously). The black paint on the leading edges that looks like boots is, indeed, just paint 🤷‍♂️.

digidocs

This is good news, except for the deice limitation. I note that the deice limitation is not listed in the STC AML document at all: https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...ff3af8625861c004ee9af/$FILE/SA02594SE_AML.pdf

Can you confirm this is a real limitation, and if so what the reasons are, and timeline to have this lifted? I note that the pictures of the certification aircraft appear to show an aircraft with deice....

Wondering if this comes from a limitation on the use of autopilot in icing conditions, or physical servo install, with timer and ejector valve in the same general area as the servos would normally be installed.....

Another question is on electric trim - don't see any mention of this in documentation for the PA34 - is it supported for integration with AP, or not?

Thanks,
Colin

Hi Colin,

I don't know if you've seen this, but as of December 18th Dynon announced that the icing restriction has been removed!

David

Zoomy350

I’m curious why Dynon did not add a yaw damper to the Seneca. Anyone that has flown a Seneca knows it has a terrible Dutch roll. Is there a chance the yaw damper servo could be added to the certified system in the future? Also, is the engine monitoring system able to monitor vacuum or does the vacuum gauge and vacuum idiot lights need to be retained for the PA-34s with boots?