Dynon - Garmin - TruTrak    ?

Pitufo

I went to Sun N Fun last april, looking for an EFIS for my Ultravia's Pelican (Canadian made).
I like the idea of the D100/HS34 combo.
I already have a Garmin 396 and I understand that it's possible to connect it to a D100.

Questions:
- Suppose I have a route in the 396, Will the HSI in the D100 display the 396's course, heading, etc?

- What will I be able to do with the HS34 in this D100/G396 configuration?

- In the future, Would it be possible to add a Garmin SL30 and connect it to the D100/G396 installation? Would I be able to have both nav sistems connected to the D100?

- I also would like to install a TrueTrak Autopilot system (Digiflight II) Would it be possible to have all these working together?

Thomas_Schaad

I do have a Trio EZ-Pilot and a EZ-3 Altitude Hold System. I as well would love to have it made all working together. I talked already to Trio about. They said that this wasn't to be realized till now, as Dynon doesn't want to share it's data stream with others. Maybe there is still a way to find, making the superior Dynon products even more attractive, if Dynon itself goes forward in this direction.

Kind regards

Thomas ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Dynon - Garmin - TruTrak ?

Yes, the 396's output will provide all of those bits of data. (fyi - technically, we're getting ground track, not heading, from the 396. Our magnetic heading is provided by the EDC-D10A remote magnetometer on the EFIS-D100)

The HS34 won't add too much utility to the HSI functionality with just the 396 connected, but it will add the knobs, voice alerts, and auto-dimming to the EFIS-D100.

The D100 only has one serial input itself, so to connect an SL30 later on you'd need an external switch. One downside of this setup is that when you don't have the GPS connected, you lose some interesting data like your winds aloft. Alternatively, this is one of the things the HS34 handles well. It can receive both inputs simultaneously, allowing you do to create some neat displays such as an SL30-sourced ILS, but with bearing needles sourced from your GPS. Wind information would always be available too.

Our products do not interface with any other manufacturer's autopilots.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

As far as I know, we're the only ones in the industry that DO share their data stream with everyone. It's right in our user manual. It has been since we shipped the very first D10.

Trio is welcome to download our user manual from our website and use it.

Our competitors have even been known to use it to test their own products. ;)

TRCsmith

I went to Sun N Fun last april, looking for an EFIS for my Ultravia's Pelican (Canadian made).
I like the idea of the D100/HS34 combo.
I already have a Garmin 396 and I understand that it's possible to connect it to a D100.

Questions:
- Suppose I have a route in the 396, Will the HSI in the D100 display the 396's course, heading, etc?

- What will I be able to do with the HS34 in this D100/G396 configuration?

- In the future, Would it be possible to add a Garmin SL30 and connect it to the D100/G396 installation? Would I be able to have both nav sistems connected to the D100?

- I also would like to install a TrueTrak Autopilot system (Digiflight II) Would it be possible to have all these working together?
Go with the Trio EZ-Pilot (www.trio.com) I think you may like it better than the True Trak..
My 2 cents
Tom

TRCsmith

Go with the Trio EZ-Pilot (www.trio.com) I think you may like it better than the True Trak..
My 2 cents
Tom

oops, I mean (www.trioavionics.com) also very good support.
sorry about that

Tom

Pitufo

OK then,  Dynon - Garmin - Trio    ?

I also visited Trio Avionics at Sun N Fun and they gave me a demo about their EZ Autopilot, I liked it a lot.

I know that the Garmin 396 can be connected to de D100, and I also know that the 396 can be connected to the Trio EZ Autopilot.

The big question is:
Can I connect the 396 to both, the D100 and the EZ Autopilot?

What I want is the GPS sending info to the D100, but also telling the Autopilot where to go.

Thanks for your help.

lgingell

I would imagine the trio is the same (wiring wise) as the TruTrak.

I have my GPS296 sending out one serial wire that splits into 3 to:
- Dynon EMS-D120 (and on to the EFIS-D10A)
- SL40 COM
- TruTrak Digitrak

...and it works great. I popped a 496 in place of the 296 and it worked great also.

..lance

jaba-who

Lance,

Do you means the wire simply physically is converted to 3 wires or does it have some sort of circuitry at the division prior to dividing into 3?

Thanks

Jaba-who

josok

You can simply splice the wire in three, should be no problem.

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

mcook

Just to clarify what Jos said. The serial output from the GPS is simply joined with all three serial input wires. The GPS is the transmitter, if you will, and the SL30, autopilot and D100 are the receivers.

Be aware that it's possible to overload the serial stream with data and have dropouts. I've been fighting just such a thing, but it looks like the latest software in the Garmin 496 has helped the situation.