Dynon Wi-Fi Adapter

Corefile

Sooo.. I know that technically the Dynon Wi-Fi Adapter is not approved for the certified Skyview system (ridiculous that it was not included). I have read about and seen it being used with certified installs, is that being done via 337 field approval? Or don’t ask don’t tell? Also does something have to be certified to be plugged into a USB port? (example, my certified audio panel has a USB port - but there is no requirement that my cell phone be certified to be plugged into it).

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
Where does it say that plugging something into a Dynon USB port violates the STC? I keep hearing that Video and other connections aren't approved, but the Certified installation documentation talks about WI-FI, as well as Video, and that's plenty good enough for me. I don't think it's a matter of don't ask don't tell, but of common sense. The WIFI module is taking data from the HDX only, so it is less of a risk than the uncertified Kingston we attach to pass data to and receive data from the HDX.

crossrich

I love flying!
It may have to do with the FAA certification process and what DYNON submitted for approval. By adding the USB WiFi feature exposes the Skyview data bus to potential outside hacking. This would have greatly complicated, if not killed, the FAA STC evaluation process. Best not ask the question, if you do not want to hear the answer.

Rhino

Leonard

I know.. it was suppose to be a funny statement. 😅