EDC 10A installation

Johnlong

The manual says keep it away from ferrous metals and suorces of high voltage. Speaking here of the remote unit. How far is enough?

I have an RV8 with aft battery and Strobe Power pac mounted next to it. my first choice would be aft and above this, but is it far enough.
Second choice is right wing tip, but will the strobe light itself interfer?

Again how far is enough?

John :-/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If we had a specific number, we would give it to you in the install manual. The issue is that the answer is "it depends." If you are near a 1A wire, then 6 inches is fine. If you're near a 50A wire, then 2 feet may not be enough.

The battery wire is the largest current carrying wire in the plane, so I'd want to be at least 2 feet from this.

Technically, we want it far away from high current sources, not high voltage sources, so the wires leading to the strobes are fine, but the wires going to the strobe voltage converter can be an issue. If you have landing lights out in the wings, the wires to these can be a real issue, since these can be 10A.

You can always use a standard handheld compass and put it in the location that you are considering. If it's distorted much from the proper heading either with just ferrous metals, or when you turn loads on and off, then it's not a good location.

Johnlong

Ok thanks. I have one landing light, no taxi light, so I will consider putting it in the other Wing. I think I could be 2 ft from the battery, with it's associated wiring if I decide on the fuselage.

John

GigG

Putting it in the wing can be problematic from an installation standpoint because the it has to be level with the Dynon box in the cockpit.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Using an electronic level makes it easy to get the EFIS and remote compass at the same pitch, no matter where the EDC is in the plane.

Johnlong

I think what I have read and what I am hearing from Dynon is that as long as the Remote and the D180 are set in the aircraft at the same angle, ie panel angle, then vertical or sideways relationship is not critical.

I hope I said that right.

John

GigG

By level I meant angle. It was my watching a guy try to make the remote in a wing match the angle of the panel mounted 180 that was problematic.