EMS D10 Fuel Level Problem

nobubbles63

I have an flying RV-7A that was fitted with the original Vans resistive fuel level senders which were working fine. last winter I installed an EMS D10 and connected the single fuel sender wires into the unit. Several calibration attempts have failed to work, each time the fuel addition is not recorded. Now left tank shows permanently full and never moves. Right tank shows permanently empty, but sometimes moves a bit up the gauge then drops back to zero. Once in a blue moon it will show full after filling but shortly afterwards during flight will fall back to zero.
Original Vans gauges were working fine when disconnected, fuel levels have never worked with this EMS and I'm not sure if another calibration will yield different results.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Check the resistance with a multi-meter. From the VANS website:

Float type sending units are available for Stewart Warner, Isspro, and Van's fuel gauges. These units are resistive and operate between approximately 20-240 ohms. When the tanks are full the resistance is approximately 20 ohms, when empty the resistance is approximately 240 ohms.

nobubbles63

Ray,
Thanks for your earlier reply to my query back in Sept. Well, when checking those readings as you suggested we eventually found what the problem was...the original builder had labelled the original tank wires back to front so when trying the calibrations with the EMS it all went wrong. All sorted now and happy to have fuel levels back.
Regards
Derek