EMS-D10 Split Tx/Rx ?

flipfloplife

EMS-d10 install.

Aera660 to drive fuel flow functionality.

but i would really like to constant serial capture for engine data (have serial logger solution).

i THINK the wiring diagram shows 1xTX and 2xRX within the larger wiring harness. (so i already don't know what to do with the ground since my aera660 only has 2 wires, a tx and an rx...)

Soooo... could a fella just roll his own DB9 and use one of the RX for the aera660 GPS signal in and then use a tx/rx pair for the logging?

If so ... uhhh... what does that look like? I see one tx and two rx wires on the harness - and one ground. Supposed to go to pins 2,3 and 5 of a DB9 -- i'm thinking maybe put the secondary rx at some spot in the DB9 and then perhaps i could hook both the aera660 info IN at the same time as the EMS data out?

i'm just using keywords -- i barely understand what I'm talking about here...

Thanks,
scott

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I'm not sure I'm getting everything here. If you're looking to bring GPS from the Aera to the EMS for fuel computer calculation, that only requires the TX from the Aera and the RX on the EMS. You can use the TX from the EMS and send it to your serial logger. IE, the TX and RX from the EMS don't need to be coming/going from the same device.

But, I'm not sure I'm getting the scenario. You might reach out to our support team (contact info in sig) so they can help you through the issue.

flipfloplife

No -- you definitely are getting the scenario. and that is exactly what I was hoping you would say.

in my head there are 3 sets of wires here. from aera. from ems. from serial logger.

from aera --- only 1 wire gets connected -- the "tx" wire. and it goes to the EMS "rx" wire.

from EMS --- all 3 wires are used -- the "rx" wire from EMS connects to the "TX" wire from the aera. the "tx" wire from EMS connects to the "data in" wire from the serial logger. the ground is connected to the ground on the serial logger?

from serial logger -- 2 of 3 wires are used -- the "data in" wire connects to the "tx" wire from the EMS. the "data out" wire from serial logger is not used. the ground on serial logger goes to the ground on EMS?

i feel like most of that feels correct except that i've never done an nmea connection without 2 wires --- seems like it needs a ground or reference signal of some kind? but i want to be wrong about that because i can do what we just lined out pretty easy.

thanks for the reply!

edit add: for clarity or the next guy -- deeper nmea 0183 research shows that a single wire connection is unlikely to work out fantastically -- instead tying the data ground together seems to be more likely to achieve success. so unless i get further input that's what i'll be doing. i'll tie in as outlined above, then i will also tie all 3 data grounds together. i'm going through it in my head and figuring what a "more elegant" solution would be in terms of what the actual connections look like (db-9?) but i think that the theory is correct. of course input absolutely welcome.

Last edited:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You've got it. If those devices are sharing ground otherwise (IE, getting ship's power) you should be OK. All that said, you can also tie all their grounds together.

flipfloplife

As a follow up for the future -- it worked. I did share a ground between the garmin aera660 and the dynon, but it wasn't specific to the nmea wires -- just a common ground from power. There isn't a whole lot that let's you know "it's working" aside from the time -- so for me i have the dynon ems-d10 on the "master" power (it's now all my engine instruments) -- and the time is xx:xx ---- then i turn on the avionics master, this brings up the aera660 -- and the dynon time corrects itself? winning.