Engine and rotor tach display problem.

ckurz7000

I love flying!
I have a gyrocopter with a Rotax 914 engine. I get the engine tach off the TCU pin 13 and feed it to pin C37_34 on the EMS module, and all is happy. In addition, I also need rotor rpm displayed on the EMS page.

I connected the pulses generated by the rotor tach sensor to pin C37_35. In the .DFG file I added this:

c37_p33/35_v2={
valid=1
name=ROTOR
id=RPM
alarm_type=SELF-CLEAR
range={...}
                }

Then I loaded the modified .DFG file via USB stick and went to the EMS screen editor, expecting to be able to place a new widget called ROTOR there. In fact, I found the new Rotor RPM widget but now the Engine RPM widget is gone.

On the Sensor Input Mapping page I see both RPM sensors on pins 32/34 and 33/35, respectively.

There must be someting fairly obvious I am missing. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks, -- Chris.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Chris,
As SkyView ships, it assumes the RPM inputs are the left and right mags from a single engine. It takes the higher of these and shows it as your engine RPM.

If you want to have two RPMs, we can handle that, but you need to take advantage of an undocumented feature (just because it is so rarley used).

In the same DFG file you were editing, find the line "RPM_POLICY" and change this from "MAX" to "SINGLE".

Now you should have two RPM widgets in the EMS layout.

ckurz7000

I love flying!
Thanks, this indeed fixed the problem. As this is a useful feature for anyone wishing to monitor 2 independent tachs (i.e., a light twin, helicopter or, as in the case at hand, gyroplane) I suggest you elevate this to "documented" status.

Are there other such useful cheats worth mentioning?

Thanks again, -- Chris.

silverlight

I love flying!
Still not documented. Whats the delay. We are using HDx in a gyroplane. Need the same, Rotax 912ULS engine RPM and Rotor RPM

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
As more of a "power user" feature, this doesn't fall into our normal setup menu system. If you want to monitor two RPMs, load the file attached to this post. Then, you'll be able to select the RPM inputs separately from within your pin mapping setup.

Attachments

• rpm_policy_single.dfg
    19 bytes · Views: 206